Chapter 12: Wonderful Chain of Events

Start from the beginning

Inside the vehicle depot, she saw a group of ODSTs, to whom she assumed she was paired with. The ODSTs watched her carefully. One let out a low whistle. "Hey lieutenant! I know we asked for reinforcements, but I never thought they'd send spartans!" The smallest trooper shouted along the line. The gunnery sergeant looked away. Gripping the M7S-SMG in his hands, he addressed the rest. "Don't think just because we've got a spartan we've got it easy. If anything, we have the hard job."

"You hear that? Maybe I should wear that armour instead of you!" A particularly brash trooper called over. Marie flicked her head up. The hangar thudded as she approached, grinning at him. She drew her helmet from her head and handed it to him. "Try it on for size." The ODST looked up in disbelief. She pushed it towards him encouragingly. As he took it in his hands, she slapped it into the air, bringing her arm down into his skull. To her, the blow would have felt like a tap. To the trooper? It was enough to send him to the floor. The helmet dropped and she caught it, putting it back on in a single motion.

The pained groans of the trooper told her she'd made an impression. In a condescending tone, she said, "You complete your mission, I will oversee my own." The trooper spluttered a reply, and his sergeant walked over. "That's why you don't taunt a fucking spartan, you twat. Now go get the pods ready, before I kick the shit out of you as well."

"Fucker didn't play fair."

"The covenant don't play fair. You should have seen it coming." The soldier skulked away miserably, amid jeers, and the sergeant walked over to the spartan. "Thanks for that, he's needed bringing down a peg or two."

"So long as he stays in line, I will have no reason to educate him again." The sergeant looked at her closely. "Do I know you?"

"Possibly?"

"You weren't at Demepor, were you?"

"I was." Marie's eyes flashed. "I believe we rescued you from the massacre at the gorge."

"You did. We never got introduced. I'm gunnery sergeant Eric Stevens, and you are?"

"Marie."

"Just Marie?"

"Lieutenant Marie, if you prefer. Or Spartan B-256?"

"Just Marie will do me fine," he smiled. "It's a pleasure. I need to go check on my boys, make sure they haven't killed each other." He walked away in a pleasant mood. Demepor had been a rare victory, though bittersweet for him. He'd never seen his old squad mates since.

Marie stood on top of a large ammo crate, ready to speak to the soldiers. "I know we had a bad first impression, however I find it pertinent you understand our role is vital, and bravado will only result in your death." From the crowd, a derogatory cry rang out, and she removed her helmet again, offering it to the speaker. There was no reply. "To be plain, all I require of you today, is that you act in according to the situation. Prioritise civilian life. Do not act rashly, or in hatred. We are going to New Belgrade to save lives, and I would prefer not to send you home in a casket."

A slow clap came from a shadowy pillar. From the gloom, a man strode from behind the pillar, shaking his head and giggling to himself. "Oh, how very inspirational. What a moving speech!"

"Pardon?" Marie asked.

"Oh, you don't know me, do you? I'm your backup," He replied, planting his hands firmly on his chest.

"I was not made aware," Marie said

"Well, your boss, now my boss, decided just now. I happened to be in the neighbourhood, and fond of staying alive, so I signed up. The admiral saw I had potential and here I am," He replied.

"Explain to me how a single man is backup?" She snapped.

"I've got a shinier suit than you do, and more experience than most of those boys over there." That much was true. At least, about the suit. The top coat of dark steel with orange accents was peeling away, revealing the true undercoat. It was clearly a prototype, sharp edges and a light grey paint job lined with yellow. The combined effect should have been a mess but lent the man a sharp, standout look. 

"Plus, I've already been paid for this job, so I intend to deliver." 

"A mercenary? My my, we must grow desperate."

"Frenchie, desperate doesn't do you justice."

"If you say so."

"I do say so. I also say you dealt with that prick well. Although, I do think I would have fared better against you. At least seen it coming."

"Of course," Marie scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Let's go." Marie dismissed the group to the SOIEV's, the mercenary following.