xxvii. desperate for justice

Vanessa's POV

Days instantly passed by. After a few days, we have come to this day — the day where the execution of our plan is about to happen. 

Jamie and I are both inside the same car. Eric's at home; still trying to recover — or should I say, still whining because he can't even walk to fight with us. 

But of course, knowing Eric, he wouldn't just stay there without contributing. He asked Smokey's men to bug the place where the Garden Exhibit will take place. He also had access to different CCTV Cameras to take a closer look at me, especially once I started to talk to our target. 

And Axel . . . 

He never said anything — and he's missing.

I looked at the window. The feeling of missing him resurfaces again.

"What about you?" I remember asking him while caressing his chest. 

"I'll lay low. I would be where you are but I'd remain hidden." His favorite thing to do — to be mysterious. Just like what he did to me, tch. 

"Aren't you going to tell me the plan you have in mind?" I was lowkey convincing him. 

I love him so well that I know when he's thinking something . . . ruthless. I know him so well. His eyes never lie. Whenever he's staring at me blankly, I know he's not just staring at me. He's thinking of ruthless acts in his mind. 

I pretended to be clueless but I just know him so well. I know he knows it too when I do the same. 

This morning, I felt him planting a kiss on my forehead. 

"Where are you going?" I moaned and slowly get up from the bed.

"Stay on the bed, baby." Axel told me. "I will just prepare for later." By later, he means now — the exact time where I'm with Jamie, getting ready for my confrontation with Liezel Cruz.

"May pupuntahan lang ako." Paalam niya.

"Where?" Tanong ko habang nakatingin sa kaniya. 

"Where the exhibit will take place."

If that's the case . . . where are you now, Axel? 

"Queen, three o'clock." Jamie informed me and pointed at our target's shadow.

Liezel Cruz on her way to the venue, wearing a basic cocktail dress and carrying a paper bag. She greeted the security guard outside with an innocent smile. She looks so innocent. Why would she play this game with me? When she got inside, I gazed at Jamie.

"Mukhang hindi siya armado. The guard checked on her and didn't say anything. I think we're good to go." She nodded her head at me.

"Okay, let's get inside."

I went outside the car and tried to analyze the surroundings.

No signs of Axel.

'I know you, Axel. And I hope you won't execute your plan.'

"Hmm. Looks like marami tayong bisita." Jamie uttered with a nervous smile. "I'm n-not nervous, just not . . . used to other people."

I shook my head, "Let's go, Charlotte." I emphasized her fake name.

I saw her smiling widely. "Alright, Meredith."

I took out my fake ID that Jamie processed last week and showed it to the security guard. He checked me just like what he did to Liezel.