Chapter 9

"Lucy."

I glanced behind, meeting a pair of dark green orbs looking at mine with a serious expression. But the seriousness vanished as he gave me a small, encouraging smile.

"I hope you're not much pressured." Jellal sat next to me in an indian sitting position while I let my feet soak in the river, swaying them once in a while. The bright moonlight reflected in the water, with the few twinkling stars in the sky.

"No, not really." I mumbled in response, staring at my own reflection in the moving water. "I'm a mage, battles are usual for us."

It's an hour before we commence our mission in Red Incubus, and a day since that cat girl attacked. Everyone else are in our camp, while I decided to take a stroll and rested here by the river. A few trashes and rocks were being washed away in the water, some even got caught in my legs.

"No, I mean being teamed with Cobra. I know you two aren't in good terms."

"Oh." I voiced as I lifted my legs and pulled them towards my chest. Wrapping my arms around them, I placed my chin on top of my knees.

I don't know what his reason was that he chose to partner me with that snake guy knowing we don't have the teamwork, but according to Meredy, he did it in purpose of trying to get us to coordinate. Well if he isn't nosy.

"I... met with Erza."

At the mention of a familiar name, my head snapped up and turned to his direction, looking at his serious eyes as he gazed at the sky. Jellal was leaning back, his hands planted on the ground behind him to support his weight.

No words came out of my lips, and I just looked at him and waited for him to continue.

"It was a coincidence, but I stumbled upon her. She is doing fine, and in touch with Gray Fullbuster. But... She doesn't know about the others' whereabouts."

"W-When did that happen? Why didn't you let her talk to me?" My voice quivered, tears threatening to fall at the thought of missing the chance to see a dear friend that I just miss so much.

"Just last night. Sorry, I cannot inform them about you being with us. However, she's aware about you breaking out, and it seems the council hasn't identified who helped you." Jellal turned to me, a sad smile on his calm face. "Erza told me she looks for you during her free time. She misses you."

Unable to contain them any longer, my tears fell as a small smile spread across my lips. "I miss them too." I murmured, gazing back to the river.

And I don't know if my eyes were just playing tricks on me, as I thought I saw Cobra behind us a few meters away. But as I turned around, no one was there.

"Well," Jellal stood up, and I just looked up at him as he dusted his clothes. "For now, you have us." He smiled, then ruffling my hair before he walked away.

I have gotten over my little crush on him, and right now, the way he smiled and ruffled my hair made me see him as an older brother. He was like Natsu, Gray, and Erza's personalities combined, minus the reckless and warfreak side.

"For now, you have us."

Jellal's words echoed back in my head, and a warm smile broke from my lips. Yeah, I should try being open with them more.

Angel, despite being an opponent seven years ago, welcomed me as a friend. Her cold and heartless attitude before is gone, and maybe what she is right now is her true personality. Caring, and actually a nice person.

Meredy, I've never met her before when they attacked the Tenrou Island, but I was told by Juvia and Erza that she used to be quite robotic and emotionless. And now, she's a cheerful and playful person, sweet, friendly and caring. I can't imagine how she used to be.