Pain

We fell asleep instantly, waking up the next morning, curled up in each other’s arms. The security of Tom’s arms always made me feel safe but it felt weird being back in my own bed seen as though we have been away for four days. I got used to the amazing and extremely comfortable king size bed back at the hotel.

"Morning, precious!" He kissed my nose.

"Morning," I replied, slightly blushing.

"Aw, you are so cute when you blush." He said, rubbing my cheek.

"Shut up!" I tried to hide my face but before I got the chance, Tom cupped my chin and placed his warm lips of mine. I could fell his hot breath escape his mouth and run through mine.

He eventually pulled away and a wide smile crossed his face.

"I love you," He whispered.

"I love you too babe," I peeked his lips.

He slid down the bed and kissed my stomach.

"And, I love you Mati!"

Then he slid back up, so our faces were in front of each other.

"Thank you for taking me to Sydney. It was just what I needed," I said.

"No problem. I am glad you had fun," He smiled, showing his brilliant set of teeth.

After lying in bed for a while, I decided I didn’t really feel like going out today. I just wanted to stay in bed because I have been running around for the past four days and I wanted some rest. So, I rang Georgia and cancelled our plans, she understood why I cancelled but I told her I would reschedule soon. Tom and I stayed in bed pretty much all day. It was the laziest day, I have had in a while and I really needed it.

I stayed cuddled in Tom arms for hours as we watched tons of movies and just relaxed. I know that’s what our holiday was supposed to be for but we were always doing something or had to go somewhere so I just wanted to sleep and that continued for many days.

*4 weeks later*

For the past four weeks, I had been expecting Matilda to make her entrance but nothing. I had so many ultrasounds the last couple of weeks, just to make sure everything was okay and the doctor said if she was to come now, it would all be fine. Hearing the doctor say that made Tom and I so happy because she would be stuck in one of those premature cribs. Although, she has been moving around so much I think she might be practicing her soccer skills.

School went back two weeks ago and Tom had been bringing me home loads of work every day. Being in year 12 sucks, so much work and never enough time in the day to do it, but luckily I was keeping up. Not actually going to school made it difficult but from all the work that was being sent home, I was pretty much teaching myself, which wasn’t too bad and at least I understood it. I just didn’t want to go to school because what if my water broke in class? How embarrassing, how disgusting! And it could happen any day. I was getting excited though, soon I would finally be able to meet my daughter and everything would be perfect.

I did eventually get my girls day out with Georgia, and I got my photos printed off plus she bought me the cutest little girls dress and said, Mati had to wear it on her naming day ceremony. It was a great idea seen as though Georgia is her god-mother.

Georgia also came over every day, to ‘check on me’. I don’t know why she did because she knows if anything happened, she would be the first one I would ring. But it was good; we always had stuff to talk about.

On the 15th of February, at about 2:30 in the afternoon and I was sitting at the dining room table, staring at my English work. Tom was usually home about 3:10 and he brings Georgia over with him. I had been getting unusual pains all day and couldn’t really concentrate on anything. I would have rung Tom but I didn’t want to interrupt him at school and Mum and Dad were at work.

I sat there for another 15 minutes until I got the worst pain of the day. Maybe this is what they call ‘contractions’. By that time, I had to ring Tom. I picked up my phone that was on the table next to my book and dialed his number.

I held the phone up to my ear as it started to ring.

"Bronte, what’s wrong?" He answered.

"Not sure but I think I might be going into labour," I screamed down the phone after something else seemed to stab me in the stomach.

"Oh shit! Alright, um, I’m on my way. I’ll get Georgia too." He sounded scared. "Babe, I won’t be long. Just hang in there."

"Ok, please hurry!"

"Miss, I have to go. Lincoln, come on." He shouted to his teacher. I could hear them running down the hallway. "Bon, stay on the phone, so I know you are okay but use the home phone to ring your Mum."

"Alright, but don’t forget Georgia."

"Lincoln, go get Georgia and meet me in the car."

It felt like hours until he got there. I had already hang Mum and I told her to meet us at the hospital. She seemed to be freaking out more than me.

Tom burst through the doors and came rushing towards me; we finally hung up our phones.

"Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

"Okay, let’s go." He put his arm around my waist and helped me walk forward.

"Wait! The bag. It’s in our room, next to my side of the bed." I told him. It had clothes for me and Mati and some of the essential things for her as well.

Tom helped my sit down on the lounge, and then he raced into the bedroom and came out with the bag. He puts his arm around my waist again and carried the bag with the other hand.

We hurried out the door and finally he put me in the back seat with Georgia and she strapped me in. I didn’t know why I was in so much pain and my waters hadn’t even broken yet. But it was only a matter of time.