Something you don't expect on a picnic

We stopped at the local catering business around the corner from our house and Tom picked up a hamper.

"So, we are going on a picnic?" I asked.

"Well, that is part of it."

"There is more?" I said shocked.

"Sure is!"

We drove to Nobbys Beach and when we arrived Tom led me towards Camp Shortland (a little park). He set up the picnic rug and laid out all of the food. We ate chicken sandwiches, chopped up fruit and cheese and crackers while we drank orange juice.

"Thank you for this," I told him.

"No problem," He smiled.

I lied down on Tom’s thighs while he stroked me hair. We stayed like that for ages until Tom asked;

"Would you like to take a walk along the beach?"

"Sure. But you realise I can’t walk very fast."

"Haha, that’s okay." He said kind of nervous.

Why was he nervous? What was going to happen on this walk?

He took the basket back to the car then came and met me back where we sat. He took my hand and we started to stroll north. We walked ankle deep in the water as we swung our linked hands between us. Neither of us really talked, the view was just beautiful.

Once we reached the end of the beach, I was about to head back but Tom stopped me from turning around. I faced him and he grabbed both my arms. Tom stared at our cupped hands. I was worried.

"Tom, is everything alright?" I said trying to meet his eyes.

He didn’t answer me for a while.

"Bronte Grace Haynes," He whispered finally meeting my eyes. "We have known each other for about fourteen years and I know we haven’t been a couple for long but I have loved you for so long. Soon we are going to be raising a child and have our own family. You’re amazing and I love you so much."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

And then, he got down on one knee. I couldn’t help but cry but I was shocked. He let go of my hands and fumbled for something in his pocket. He finally found it and my mouth dropped open. I covered my mouth with my hands.

"I know it’s not going to happen for a while and I know we are young but forget about age. I love you forever. I can’t imagine spending my life with anyone but you!" He held out his hand.

I placed my hand in his. "Bronte, will you marry me?"

"Yes," I cried out. He placed the ring on my finger and stood up to hug me. The ring was big and round with thousands of diamond in the circle.

I was crying so much, I couldn’t believe it. We hugged for a long time and I examined the ring over his shoulder. I eventually pulled back and said;

"The ring is absolutely beautiful!" I continued to cry.

"I’m glad you liked it," He said in relief.

"And this was the surprise everyone knew about?"

"Sure is! And Bronte I mean it. FOREVER," He repeated.

He gave me a passionate kiss on the lips then he took my hand.

"We should head back. We have a dinner to get too," Tom reminded me.

To be honest, right now I didn’t care about the dinner. I just wanted to be with Tom. This was the most perfect day ever.

On the way home, Tom and I left our hands entwined on the centre console. We were both so happy. He sat there with a massive smile on my face while I looked out the window gleaming. I’m sure we won’t get married for another couple of years but just guaranteeing our love is all I need. I just wanted Matilda to be born now and we could finally be a proper family.

When we arrived home, we walked in the door hand in hand. Mum rush to my side trying to hold in her excitement.

"Show me!" She squealed.

I held out my hand so she could see the amazing ring weighing down my finger.

"Oh. My. God!" She said facing Tom. "Holy shit!"

"It’s gorgeous, isn’t it?" I grinned.

"Tom that must have cost millions." She whispered in his direction, trying not to let me hear.

He just shrugged his shoulder.

"Congratulations!" Dad called over his shoulder while watching the tv.

"Thanks Josh," Tom announced back.

"Yeah, thanks Dad!"

"Okay, both of you need to get ready for tonight. Bronte, you should wear something to go with the ring!" She suggested.

"Yeah well, trying to find something for me to fit in while I am this big is actually pretty hard so I might be awhile."

"Well, you have about an hour and half so chop, chop!" Mum clapped her hands.

Tom and I raced off to our bedroom and shut the door behind us. Tom took all his clothes off (I was used to it) and stood at the wardrobe.

"What do I wear?" He asked.

"Shouldn’t I be asking you that question, not the other way around?" I laughed.

He looked at me serious.

"The grey suit." I suggested.

He took the grey suit of the coat hanger and placed it on the bed. While he got dressed, I also stood there staring at the cupboard.

"Now, I am being dead serious. What the hell am I going to wear?"

"Um………." We both glanced at the clothes until Tom stepped forward and pulled out a blue skirt and a black t-shirt with a white lacey ¾ singlet to go over the top and picked up my black ballet flat off the ground.

"What do you think?" He bit his lip.

"Good choice!" I nodded.

I striped down to my underwear and started to put on the clothes Tom picked out. Once I was dressed, he walked over to me and grabbed my waist. He kissed my lips and our mouths moved in sync. This was like no other kiss before, it was electric.

"I love you. You are the most beautiful fiancé I could ever ask for!" He peaked me of the lips again.

"That’s going to take some getting used to!" I replied. "But I love you, more than there are stars in the sky."

He gave a quick hug then asked;

"Do you want your hair straightened?"

I just laughed. "Of course."

He sat me down on chair and started to straighten my hair. It was amazing having a boyfriend, sorry fiancé, which loved doing hair more than I did.

It took him about an hour to straighten my long blonde curls but he enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed watching him in my mirror. Once he was finished, I got up and kissed him on the lips.

"Thanks babe!" I said.

"Anytime." He replied with hair gel on his hands about to rub it through his hair.

We were soon all ready to head off to dinner. Mum and Dad were already in the front seats of the car when Tom and I jumped in the back. We held hands all the way to the restaurant and Tom continued to dazzle me while I kept looking down at my engagement ring, taking up half of my finger.

This was the BEST day of my life.