The Parting of the Ways: Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

"I've got a problem," Lynda's voice said softly through the comm, making me look up from my work. "They've found me."

"You'll be alright, Lynda," I tried to reassure her, still working. "That side of the station's reinforced against meteors."

"Hope so! You know what they say about Earth workmanship!," Lynda said, laughing nervously. However, only seconds later, I heard her scream and then her line was cut out, causing me to sigh sadly.

"Last man standing!," I heard Jack's voice shout from outside and his gun going off. "For God's sake, Doctor, finish that thing and kill them!"

"Finish that thing and kill mankind," the Emperor retorted, causing me to look up at him from my work before quickly going back to work.

~

"Doctor, you've got 20 seconds maximum!," Jack's voice shouted from outside.

All of a sudden, the sound of Jack's gun going off repeatedly stopped.

"Exterminate!," I heard a Dalek call out.

"I kind of figured that," I heard Jack say, before I heard the sound of his body hit the door and then the floor, making me cringe.

I then straightened out in relief when I realised that the Delta Wave was ready. However, my eyes widened as loads of Daleks started to roll in from every door.

"You really want to think about this, 'cuz if I activate the signal, every living creature dies," I warned them.

"I am immortal," the Emperor said on the screen.

"Do you want to put that to the test?," I asked.

"I want to see you become like me. Hail the Doctor, the Great Exterminator."

"I'll do it!," I threatened, as I narrowed my eyes at the Emperor and quickly placed my hands on the switch that would turn on the Delta Wave.

"Then prove yourself, Doctor. What are you? Coward or killer?"

I looked down at the large switch and thought about everyone who had died here by them. I thought about anyone down on Earth who had been killed, Lynda, Pavale, Jack....my own people, with me as the only 1 left standing.

I then thought about the rest of the human race down on Earth who hadn't yet been killed. I thought about Savannah, who I was deeply in love with but wouldn't be able to tell her so.

I finally took my hands of the switch as knew I wouldn't be able to kill another species - 1 that the love of my lives belonged to, as well as her family and friends - including Rose.

"Coward," I said firmly. "Any day."

"Mankind will be harvested because of your weakness," the Emperor said, sounding smug.

"And what about me?," I asked. "Am I becoming 1 of your angels?"

"You are the heathen. You will be exterminated."

"Maybe it's time," I admitted, not seeing any other way out of this situation. I closed my eyes and thought about Savannah, wanting her to be the last thing I thought about before they killed me.

However, instead of the sound of the Daleks shooting at me, I heard the unmistakable sound of the TARDIS from behind me, causing me to quickly turn around, shocked to see the TARDIS materialise.

"Alert!," 1 of the Daleks shouted. "TARDIS materialising!"

'What!? But it can't be here. It's impossible!,' I thought. 'Emergency Program One is supposed to keep the TARDIS on Earth!'