The Parting of the Ways: Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

"She's not here, either," I said, bowing my head, thinking about the beautiful blonde that I loved who I had sent back home in the TARDIS with her sister.

"Really? Her too?," Jack asked, sighing again. "Well, when 1 of them gets back, ask them to read me the codes."

"They're not coming back," I told him, looking up at the comm while still working.

"What do you mean?," Jack asked, confused. "Where did they go?"

"Just get on with your work!," I finally snapped, thinking about the fact that I wouldn't ever see Savannah again and tell her how much I'm in love with her.

There was a brief pause before Jack asked, "You took them home, didn't you?"

"Yeah," I said, nodding.

"The Delta Wave," Jack said, changing the subject. "Is it ever going to be ready?"

"Tell him the truth, Doctor," the voice of the Emperor said, as it came up on the screen, causing me to look up from my work again. "There is every possibility the Delta Wave could be complete, but no possibility of refining it. The Delta Wave must kill every living thing in its path, with no distinction between human and Dalek. All things will die by your hand."

"Doctor, the range of this transmitter covers the entire Earth!," I heard Jack exclaim.

"You would destroy Daleks and humans together," the Dalek Emperor said. "If I am God, the creator of all things, then what does that make you, Doctor?"

"There are colonies out there," I said, looking up at the Emperor. "The human race would survive in some shape or form, but you're the only Daleks in existence. The whole universe is in danger if I let you live. Do you see, Jack?," I asked, looking down at him. "That's the decision I've got to make for every living thing. Die as a human, or live as a Dalek. What would you do?"

"You sent them home," Jack answered me immediately. "They're safe. Keep working."

"But he will exterminate you!," the Emperor exclaimed in surprise of Jack's answer.

"Never doubted him, never will," Jack said, making me smile at him, before he disappeared from the small screen in front of me.

"Now, you tell me, God of all Daleks," I said, getting up and walking closer to the bigger screen to look up at the Emperor. "Because there's 1 thing I never worked out. The words 'Bad Wolf', spread across time and space, everywhere, drawing me in. How'd you manage that?"

"I did nothing," the Emperor answered.

"Oh, come on," I huffed, not believing it. "There's no secrets now, Your Worship."

"They are not part of my design," the Emperor said. "This is the Truth of God."

I swallowed and frowned worriedly, looking up at the Bad Wolf Corporation sign high up on the wall.

'So what the hell was Bad Wolf, then?,' I thought worriedly. 'And where did it come from?'

~

The Daleks had started to attack, but I continued to work on the Delta Wave as fast as I could to get rid of them.

"Lynda!," I called into the comm. "What's happening on Earth?"

"The Fleet's descending," she answered, her voice trembling. "They're bombing whole continents! Europa, Pacifica, the New American Alliance. Australasia's just gone."

~

I heard more guns going off nearby but continued to work as fast as I could.

~