John Shelby - 'A Royal Night Out.'

Start from the beginning

"Lizzie" You giggle back to her as she makes you dance alongside her.

"- And Mickey tells me there's going to be a wizard all-nighter at Chelsea Barracks. One of his friends gave him the password. Would they let me in, do you think?" She laughs as you stop dancing; watching her instead.

"I think so." You shrug.

"Being a princess?" She asks and stands still.

"Just being you would do it."

"Really?" She gasps. "The best nightclub in all of Mayfair-"

"Mummy said, No." You blurt out again.

"What kind of no?" She frowns, sighing.

"No, as in... Absolutely not, under any circumstances whatsoever." You bite down on your lip.

"What did she say?" Lizzie jumped up and down, having a small paddy.

"The life we live, is not fully our own. Blah, blah." You rolled your eyes; speaking in an monotone voice.

"Does she think I'm going to end up on the front page of the Daily Mirror in the arms of a drunken sailor or something?" Lizzie scoffed.

"Hardly." You replied - although, it wouldn't surprise you if it did happen.

"You didn't ask properly." She huffs and stamps her feet. "You can't have done."

"But I did" You answer back.

"Y/N!" She huffs and walks to her bed; laying across with a big thud. "We'll be walled up in this ghastly mausoleum for the rest of our blooming lives. I'm completely cheesed."

You thought about it for a moment and rushed out the room - intending to get a YES from your mother and father.

"Speaking from our Empire's oldest capital city, war-battered, but never for one moment daunted or dismayed, I ask you to join me in that act of thanksgiving. " You heard your father practice his speech as you walk in. "So far?"

"Very good. Full of character and sincerity." Your mother smiled at her husband.

"Awfully impressive." You smiled genuinely as you placed a hand on his shoulder; Lizzie coming in behind you with a massive smirk on her face.

"Oh, you really think so?" Your father looked up to you.

"Absolutely." You grinned.

"We all do." Lizzie crossed her arms and you all looked to your father.

"Go on." Your mother instructed for him to continue.

"At this hour, when the when the dreadful shadow of war
has passed-" He continued but you cut him off, blurting out your true feelings.

"The thing is..." You began, cutting off your father and making everyone turned to you.

"What?" Your mother frowned.

"My sister and I have been brought up to believe in the importance of sincerity-." You played with your hands, but found a sudden urge of confidence.

"Everyone, this is hard enough as it is." You father groaned as everyone had been taken away from his speech; making him feel more nervous.

"Fairness too." You continued, ignoring your father. "And for six years now we've been positively cloistered."

"Like nuns." Lizzie added for support.

"We understood the reference." Your mother's disapproved look haunted you both as you spoke.

"Lizzie and I deserve the right to celebrate too, outside." You beg them, but talking rationally.

"I agree with her completely." Lizzie nodded her head.

"I'm sure you do." The queens retort once more. "You know we can't do that. Besides, what's so special about going out?"

"I don't know and I never will unless we go out tonight." You groaned.

"Darlings... We have invited your closest friends to be with you tonight, suitable young people-" Your father groaned as he stood up.

"My very close, my extremely suitable friends?" You questioned; knowing full well he was lying.

"You're always with me when I give my speeches." He breathes out. "We four. The family should be together, tonight of all nights."

"We would be still, Papa" You smiled gently, putting a hand on his arm. "In a way, but with us out there amongst the people."

"Hmm. Hardly the same thing." Your mother muttered.

"I could tell you how it was received." You raised an eyebrow to compromise. "What they really think."

"One day, Y/N, far off in the future, you shall be Queen." Your mother stood up beside you all.

"I know that, Mummy." You breathed out; speaking softly.

"And your subjects..." she began but you cut her off once more.

"My subjects? What do I know about them?" You question.

"Your subjects need to see you as incorporating in your person the very essence of royalty." She huffs and folds her arms.

"One knows about essences and all that, but one would still like to have a dance from time to time." You pushed. "The Lindy Hop, for example."

"The what-y hop?" Your mother questioned with a scowl on his face

"Let them go." Your father spoke and you all turned to him with utter shock on your faces. "We should let them go."

"But they might be recognised." Your mother disapproved once more.

"We would be incognito." You smiled, assuring them.

"Why not?" Your father shrugged. "After all, we had our fun, remember?"

"It was different for us." Your mother snapped to her husband. "You weren't the heir."

"This might be the only chance she gets." Your father smiled as he looked to you.

"And me." Lizzie spoke up.

"That's that, then." Your father nodded his head; meanwhile your sister and You grin from ear to ear with happiness. "Good. Now can we please get on with my bloody speech?"

"Yippee!" Lizzie squealed as she ran out of the room; leaving you and your mother to listen to the speech. "We're off, Mickey! We're off!"