fifteen

[the next morning]

Hoseok groaned, the bottle of tequila rolling out of his hand and onto his carpeted floor. He smacked around his bedside to find his phone.

"Hello?" he croaked out.

"I've been ringing your doorbell repeatedly for the last minute. Can you not hear it?"

"Gyuri?"

She sighed from the other line. "Do you not check who's calling before you pick up? Can you open your door? I need to talk to you."

He mocked her silently with an exaggerated expression.

"You better not be mocking me."

He sighed. "I'm coming, I'm coming."

Hoseok tumbled out of his bed, forgetting about the bottle of tequila in his room. He wiped his mouth from the dried up drool and unlocked his door.

"Jesus, you look like crap," Gyuri said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'm all good."

Gyuri squinted her eyes. "Your breath smells like tequila again. I thought you stopped drinking."

"I can't stop. You won't love me anymore, so I only have this to turn to."

His response shocked her. It seemed random but well-timed.

"Hoseok," she whispered, closing the door behind her. "I never said I didn't love you anymore, but you promised me you would stop drinking."

"It's hard to not drink," he said with his eyes closed. He gulped. "I just need it. I need to feel the burn down my throat. If I don't, I feel useless."

"Useless?"

"Yeah, like I have no purpose in life. I failed myself. University was so fun and free, especially when I met you. But after you broke up with me, it wasn't as fun anymore," he replied.

"You always drank even when we were dating," Gyuri whispered.

"I know, Gyuri," he softly said, opening his eyes. "And I'm sorry for that. Maybe it was my fault you broke up with me. You hated it when I drank."

"I still do. It's not you, Hoseok. You're a loving, happy, and energetic person. You're not a mad, resentful person."

"I know I'm not," he defeatedly replied.

"Let's get you somewhat sober and then we can talk."