Part 15 - Radar lock-on

We drove around a small building looking for the black Buick SUV. We spotted it parked near a sleek executive jet with its gas turbines spinning.

'Radar scanning detected,' the Terramax speakers announced. 'Electronic countermeasures initiated.'

'Wow,' I said, 'Dr Ah-um did say it was a prototype military vehicle. I guess they didn't remove all of the equipment.'

Licia stopped close to the folding steps leading up to the jet's cabin and picked up a microphone. 'Release Denny and Dr Zhang now or we will demolish your aircraft.'

Her voice reverberated from a speaker on the roof of the Terramax.

Nothing happened for a few minutes and then the rear view monitor showed the SUV rolling up behind us and the driver levelling an assault rifle from the side window.

'I wonder if we have grenade launchers,' Beryl said seriously. 'Or a co-axial machine gun.'

I laughed nervously. 'Grenade launchers might come in useful.'

Andy White appeared at the open door of the aircraft. He held up both hands in a gesture of peace. 'Why don't you come aboard while we discuss this?'

'Fat chance,' Miguel muttered.

'How about I go while you turn the Terramax around,' I said.

'The SUV is blocking our exit,' Licia pointed out.

'Just make sure he can't see you,' I said as I followed Beryl out of the side hatch and ran up the steps into the aircraft.

Andy was waiting for us. 'Welcome aboard,' he said to me grimly. 'I didn't expect your bodyguard. Is she toting that Uzi?'

'I'm not armed,' Beryl said. 'We come in peace.'

He waved us to seats in the cabin. Denny and Dr Zhang sat opposite with Stonk, the gorilla, and Con Black standing beside them. They both looked worried.

Denny asked, 'How in the blinking deuce did you get here?'

'Licia drove the Terror-max,' Beryl said and then she saw the horrified expression on Dr Zhang's face.  She added, 'don't worry, she's a very good driver.'

Dr Zhang said, 'Ah-um. Mr White, I insist that you release Ziff. He has done nothing wrong.'

'That's debatable,' Andy replied. 'At the moment his accomplices are threatening to destroy our rented executive jet.'

'And they will,' I told Andy, 'if Denny and Dr Zhang do not accompany me back to the Terramax immediately or sooner.'

'Now, just a cotton picking minute,' Con said. 'We are investigating a major crime against US government computers.'

'Ah-um, we have repeatedly told you, we know nothing about that and furthermore you are in Canada. You have no jurisdiction here.'

Andy spoke into his radio and then listened for a few seconds. 'Okay, copy that. No international incidents. Understood.' He glared at us.

After a few seconds of silence Beryl stood up. 'Right. Let's go.'

I moved to the door. Dr Zhang followed but our way was blocked by Stonk, the gorilla. He glared at Beryl but she gave him a bright smile and Andy shook his head slightly.

I made my best monkey face at him as he stepped aside.

Nobody tried to stop us as we walked down the steps and climbed in to the Terramax but I noticed the SUV driver was still pointing the rifle at us. I climbed through the back hatch and sat on the engine cover with Dr Zhang and Denny while Beryl climbed up beside Miguel.

'Acquiring target information,' the speakers announced. 'Radar lock on. Arming counter battery missiles.'

'Missiles!' Dr Zhang exclaimed in alarm. 'I told them to delete the military stuff.'

At that moment, Dunc landed on the roof of the SUV and started jumping up and down, break dancing. The driver leaned out the window to see what was happening just as Dunc slipped off to the other side and flipped something into the SUV 's from his webbed feet. Thick green smoke suddenly billowed out of the drivers door.

We were still looking for seat belts when Licia spun the steering wheel. There was a loud bang and a bullet ricocheted off the off the Terramax.

I touched Licia's arm and pointed to the SUV driver who had fired at us.

'That SUV driver is an idiot,' Licia snarled. 'Seat belts on! She raised the front wheels and yanked the drive into ROTATE CW. There was a soft whir as the wheels aligned and she gunned the motor. I was still looking for my seat belt when we spun around so fast I was pinned against the windshield by centrifugal force.

We stopped rotating with a jerk facing the SUV which blocked our escape. I just managed to get my seat belt snapped on before Licia drove the Terramax onto the hood and over the top of the SUV before skidding off the roof leaving dents and muddy tire prints all over the bodywork.

'The driver got out just in time,' Beryl laughed. 'But his rifle's bent.'

I looked at Licia askance. 'I think we just ruined a classic Buick.'

'There was no other way,' she said apologetically.

❘❘ ❘❘❘ ❘❘❘❘❘❙ ❙❙ ❙❙ ❙❘❘❘❘ ❘❘❘❘ ❘❘

	❘❘ ❘❘❘ ❘❘❘❘❘❙ ❙❙  ❙❙ ❙❘❘❘❘ ❘❘❘❘ ❘❘