Part 11 - Next left on Hoomalu

'It's a prototype combat engineers' vehicle built for the U.S. Army,' Dr Zhang told us, 'but the company lost the contract and abandoned the project. They ripped out all the top secret computers but I had new ones installed. So now, I am the proud owner of the only Terramax in existence.'

'Ah-um, you gotta see the inside. I had it fitted out like a mobile home. Climb up and take a look.'

We climbed in through the front hatch. 'The engine, batteries and hydraulics take up a lot of space,' he said, 'but there are four seats at the front, bunks on the sides and the kitchen, toilet and shower are at the back.'

We climbed aboard and Dr Zhang slid into a seat in front of a control console that looked like it belonged on the space station. It didn't even have a steering wheel. Miguel and I sat in the middle as Licia claimed the window seat. I noticed two computer monitors and a panel of controls including a toggle lever in front of each seat.

'It has seven on board computers to control the six independent wheel drives, four wheel steering and climbing hydraulics. Ah-um, the drive is automatic with limited slip, differential gearing,' Dr Zhang bragged, 'with a hybrid diesel-electric generator. It is equipped with radar collision avoidance for autonomous use. And, ah-um, in case you were wondering, the Terramax can be controlled from any seat position using the drive controls in front of you.'

'Buckle up. I'll give you a short demo.'

I had sudden fear that somewhere else might be safer but I was already strapped in by the automatic seat belts and I would have to climb over Licia to get out.

'Watch this! It's really cool,' Dr Zhang said as he pressed a button.

We got a demonstration of the air conditioning, windshield wipers, the head lights, turn indicators and the emergency flashers. We were not sure which was which because Licia, Miguel and I were watching from a horizontal position. The first button had caused all our seat backs to fully recline.

'Ah-um, what are you all doing down there? Oops. Sorry. Power seats!' He pushed another button and his seat promptly tilted so far back he couldn't reach the console. Miguel had to reach over and push the button with his footwhich returned him to a vertical position. 'Ah-um, thank you Miguel. Heh, heh. I guess I need a little more practice. When all else fails, read the operating manual.'

It took three tries before he got his own seat into a comfortable position and then he experimented with the controls while we undulated up, down and from left to right, alternating between upright and fully reclined. I was feeling slightly queasy when we were finally all sitting comfortably.

Dr Zhang turned to us with a triumphant grin. 'And now,' he said with the air of a conjurer about to remove a rabbit from his hat, 'we are ready to roll. That is . . . ah-um, as soon as I have read page nineteen of the manual.'

The vehicle rocked as the diesel engine started. Dr Zhang engaged the automatic transmission, released the foot brake and the Terramax started rotating like a carousel.

'The hydraulic steering,' Dr Zhang quoted from the operating manual, 'permits an incredibly tight turning circle. The Terramax is able to turn about its own vertical axis . . . Ingenious, eh?'

He started reading again. 'Selecting CW or CCW causes the wheels to automatically align in a circle. Releasing the brake allows all wheels to rotate in the same direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise.'

We were edging slowly sideways across the parking lot as we rotated. 'Would you stop it spinning now,' Licia asked. 'I'm beginning to get dizzy.'