"Yes," I acknowledge. Thinking I can do this easier in medical mode, I let go of Ace's hand and ask. "Ace," I say, testing his name out on my lips. "There isn't much time, I've got to mark you, can you take off your shirt please?"

Seeing that Ace can barely move, I gently crawl over, sitting on the bed now to help him remove his shirt.

"My chest hurts too much to move, I can't," Ace tells me, gritting his teeth slightly.

Reassuring him, I say, in a calming manner. "Hey, it's okay. I'll help you, here."

"Not till you tell me your own name," he then tells me.

'What, no, Ace. We don't have time for this, I have to mark you," I attempt to tell him, and then go back to my action of trying to remove his shirt.

"But I don't want to be marked without knowing my mate's name, so please," he says to me his voice pleading now.

Realizing I won't be able to get through to Ace using medical mode, I switch back to mate mode and speak.

"My name is Shelby Green," I tell him in a shy tone. One so low, only he can hear it.

"Shelby, what a beautiful name to go with that pretty of a face," he smiles as best he can.

Feeling my cheeks heat up, I give him a shy smile. "Oh, thank you, Ace."

I then gently place my hands-on Ace's shirt, slowly pulling up and removing it from his body. Ace moves his shoulder, allowing me to slip the shirt over his head.

The shirt itself is filthy. It's a normal gray tee, one that's well worn, and has dirt, mud, and food stains all over it.

When was this last tossed in the washer? When was the last time Ace tossed himself in the washer? I wonder.

Upon helping Ace remove his dirty shirt and tossing it to the floor somewhere, I'm made aware of something new about him. While we were bringing him here, every passing pack member said that he had a stench to him, I couldn't smell anything, and now, I understand why. Ace's sent, to me at least is intoxicating. He smells of sweet, fiery embers and coal.

I just sit there on the bed and stare at Ace for a long moment, taking him in.

He's beautiful. Even with the way he looks right now, he's not what I pictured in my dreams, he's much better. I don't know between Sophie and me, I think Sophie lucked out on this one. But then again, that's what all new mates say when they see each other for the first time.

I want to take him in some more, but realizing I don't have much more time, I decide against it. Looking up at him, he gives me a slight nod.

Crawling gently over on top of him, I look down at him, his blue orbs staring up at me. I then pause for a moment, my own heartbeat racing, I am scared out of my mind. I have never kissed a guy in my life, not even in my dreams.

How am I supposed to do this?

"Just follow your instincts and you'll be fine," Ace mumbles, snapping me out of my thoughts once again.

"I don't have any of my instincts anymore," I tell him, breaking down slightly and looking down, shifting my gaze away from his, wanting to curl back into myself and hide.

"Hey Shelby, look at me," Ace tells me in a reassuring tone of voice. I do as he says and look back up towards him.

"It's alright."

Letting out another long overdue sigh, shoving all the nervousness I just felt out of my mind, I move in, and just like that, Ace's lips connect with mine.