Bring Me Light - Chp 16

Waking up in my room the sun hit my eyes and I winced as the brightness blinded me. Getting up I went and had a shower taking my time.

I was trying to decide on what was the best excuse to use on Ben for last night's incident. The more I searched for one the more I questioned whether I should just tell Ben the truth. I mean I better tell him now before I get into this any deeper. I was falling too deep too quickly. Especially how all my thoughts involved me Ben and a dark secluded area with a bed...

However it turned out I didn't need an excuse, I didn't see Ben all day. I asked Matt and Soph and they were just as clueless. By the end of the classes for the day I was feeling antsy. What happens if it was me that drove him from school scared as hell?

So without scary thought I left school grounds and made my way to Ben's house. I had no idea what I was going to say. I had this urge to tell him the truth, I've never needed to. When Ange or Bec found it was because I had to, not because I wanted to. I could trust Ben, I knew I could, I was afraid of him running from me. Whenever I was close to convincing myself to tell him the truth negatives slashed the thought down reminding me he had no reason to stay and deal with having a weir friend.

Reaching and knocking on the front door I was still utterly clueless as to what I was going to say. As he opened to door I was still deciding.

Before he could even greet me or speak I spoke, my voice small and fragile; "Can we talk?"

Nodding he led me down the hall and into the lounge room. Glancing around he answered my questioning gaze; "No one's home." I nodded smiling weakly. Oh god.

Ben leant against the wall as I leant against the arm rest of a lounge, facing him, a metre in distance between us. I hated that distance.

It was silent, dead still.

"Ben" I began swallowing harshly, my palms sweating. What do I say? "I gotta tell you something." I managed, glancing down at the scar on my palm and tracing it slowly avoiding it with all cost.

"How long have you seen them for?"

My head snapped up, too quickly, massaging my strained neck I frowned watching him with distance. Protective of my secrets. He smiled gently watching my expression.

"Presences I mean."

I stood speechless. My jaw dropped, my heart thumping like crazy and my eyes as wide as the sun. It was as if you could hear my disbelief.

"H-h-h-ow?" I stammered finally able to at least try to talk, "H-h-ow?" I stuttered again my body still tense.

He smiled gently than shrugged, "I guessed."

I didn't speak.

He sighed, "The yearbook was on Alice's year. You whispered James one day in the cafeteria and told him to get in your room that day. And you had a total obsession with talking to Alice girl and do I need to continue? Cos I have more..."

Finally finding some form of composure I glanced away blushing. Sure did take notice of everything.

"So how long?" he asked again softly.

I shrugged still looking down at my scar, "Since I was little." I said distantly in a soft mutter.

"So tell me do they glow?"

I looked up in disbelief to see him smiling, "You don't think I'm a freak?" I spluttered curiously.

Rushing over he crouched down to hold my gaze as he held both of my hands in his, "of course not." He whispered gently.