Bring Me Light - Chp 3

Groaning I slammed down on the snooze button on my iPod dock. "Already?" I moaned to myself out loud in the dark empty room.

Sliding out of bed I slid my black silk trench coat over my singlet and pyjama shorts. Carelessly I left my hair in its messy ponytail and I didn't even bother with shoes. Grabbing my keys and phone off my table I stumbled around my room knocking into things in my path. It still didn't feel like my room, it took me a couple minutes to realise in the dark where I really was and how to get to the door exactly. Yawning I slid out and down the hall still half asleep but as cautious as ever, the dorms in the middle of the night eerie enough to have me moving quick and stealthily.

Stupid freaking people wanting to meet at freaking midnight, stupid freaking idiots I continued chanting to myself on repeat.

Having crept back in near passed lockout tonight was a blessing in disguise, it helped me pin point the easiest route in sneaking out of the dorms undetected. Out the front and the back main exits were obviously a no go, there was the security guard. That left the emergency exits which trigged the alarms, another no go. That left only one place, a place that seemed blatantly obvious yet slipped my mind until dinner tonight. Going down the back steps and slipping into the locked cafeteria wasn't too difficult if you knew what avoid and look out for whether it's possible cameras or a window. With what felt like second nature I slid through, my steps echoing greater in the large empty expanse just as I slid into the kitchen and found the back door. Chewing on my lower lip I prayed the door wouldn't squeal, with one last prayer I was slipping out the door with a faint creak. Not waiting around I hedged around the side of the building trying to figure out along the way just how many security guards I'll be sneaking around for what looked like the rest of my schooling.

Stepping into the side garden my shoulders gradually relaxed under the cold air which caressed my face and curled around my bare legs and toes making me shiver. Maybe shoes would have been wise. Silently and more awake due to the help of the cool soothing breeze - plus the adrenaline of turning all secret agent for another night - I walked back over to the bench. Collapsing on it I let my eyes slide close catching any more z's when possible.

Not even a minute passed and I already could feel the change. The air seemed thicker more like a thick liquid or smoke that pressed heavily against you, the air felt colder and everything felt more eerie. I guess it was the simple awareness that you weren't alone, despite appearances.

"This better be good for dragging me out of bed in the middle of the night." I growled, my tone not as menacing as deadly tired. Once upon a time my greeting once was tentative which than followed on to a mixture of pity and sympathy. Now it was just another ordinary day, I wasn't going to give anyone sympathy for waking me in the middle of the night even if they were dead.

My eyes fluttered opened to see my new friend.

He was completely startled; "Y-yo-you can see me? You can see...ghosts?" he spluttered with wide large eyes.

I rolled my eyes "Obviously." I muttered so used to this now that it was boring and I couldn't help but get a bit grouchy when I had to play this scene over and over. It never ceased to amuse me how out of the two of us it was always them amazed.

"Yea, I uh, need a favour." He managed his voice still full of shock but now hope.

I looked at him; he was young, my age. He had hair that was a scruffy brown and he was reasonably built and tall. Without a second pause I knew this used to be his school given away by the school uniform he was dressed in. But I already knew that, what ghost hangs out at a school unless they went to this school?

I smiled at him, hopefully reassuringly "Shoot."

He took a deep unnecessary breath "Can you find my sister? Alice Manyon? I need to tell her some things, make her understand." He whispered his voice thick of multiple layers of emotion.

"Does she feel guilty? Or thinks you didn't like her?" I asked guessing the scenario. I was about as talented with guessing the scenarios as I am with guessing the great "shocks" on all the day time soaps I find myself watching on my sick days at home. Usually it was the same thing, just some unresolved situation that needs to be resolved so than they could move on peaceful. That fact daytime TV seemed to at least get right.

"Later one." He mumbled looking down at his feet looking bashful.

My heart panged, no matter how many stories I hear I always feel helplessly miserable hearing all their regrets from their wasted time and unsaid words. Every time it left me wishing I had some other freak ability, like going back in time to save those before an unjust death. Mine bought peace, but what was the need if they didn't die and rather just fixed those mistakes and regrets? This thing I did didn't teach me this clichéd corny ideal that life is short and we must sieze the day, no instead it told me life was coldly cruel and unforgiving. The deaths you hear in the paper or on the news was heart breaking enough but hearing it from the little children who fall into the hands of callous cancer or from the parent who was hit by a drunk driver on their way home to their family...it was unbreable. Life was cruel and no matter how many times I "helped" I still felt helpless, a failure that couldn't do enough.

I sighed "I'll try and find her." He nodded "And convince her." I added.

He smiled sadly "Her new group...well, they'd find it believable. So it's not going to be hard there. But it's getting to talk to her and see the truth that is going to be hard." He answered glumly his distaste towards the group clear. Great a misfit like group to seep through.

"'Kay. Well if you don't mind....?" I prompted.

"James." he put in quickly rubbing the back of his neck, I wondered if blood was still pumping through his body would he be blushing right now?

I smiled softly, trying to ease some of the hopeless torture and isolation he must be feeling "James, I'm going to sleep. I'll find her or at least try and you'll know when needed or I'll give you a call." I said quoting the all too common line with a wyry grin.

He nodded guiltily yet excited as he grew closer to getting his favour fulfilled "Yeah, thanks. And sorry"

I paused catching his heart breakingly empty gaze "You have nothing to be sorry for."

________________________

Click the external link for my Facebook page

So you guys know my drill; vote, comment and maybe give me a fan, yeah? Do it, I dare you ;) Xx

-------------------------------------

All Rights Reserved

Copyrighted Material ©

-------------------------------------