Chapter 15 - Saving the Old Lady

It didn't take long for things to go sour. And to think, Lewis and I were having a great day...up until we got dragged off by Emma that is. That's why we were driving Lewis' boat all the way out into the middle of the ocean, following the trail of frothy waves left by Zane's own boat. Apparently, Miss Chatham had took off in the middle of the night in the boat the water police had condemned. And in the process, had scratched the cowling on Zane's boat...again.

Suddenly, Lewis pointed far out, "Look! There's the Lorelai! Near the Mako Island mangroves,"

Glancing to where he'd pointed, my eyes instantly locked onto the red boat floating beside Miss Chatham's.

"He's already here!" Emma stressed as we came closer.

As soon as we'd pulled up beside the boat, Zane came out from inside, leaning over the railing to peer down at us. Our eyes connected and I bit down so hard on my bottom lip that I tasted the metallic tang of blood on my tongue in a vain attempt to hide the blush forming on my cheeks.

But he seemed not to notice as he stumbled towards us, "It wasn't my fault! I didn't do anything!"

Eyes widening in both confusion and trepidation, we all clamored aboard the Lorelai. Miss Chatham was out cold, stretched out on her sofa. Lewis bent down, leaning in close before blowing out a sigh of relief through his lips.

"She's still breathing!" he exclaimed.

We all calmed down considerably. Emma sent Zane to search for pills for her while we got ready to move her. After he found them, we loaded her into Lewis' boat before the three of us climbed inside as well. Zane, on the other hand, hung back on the boat.

"Thanks, Zane. Come on, let's go. Get in," Emma said, glancing over at him as she gestured to Lewis' boat.

"She'll be alright," he assured her, "I'm staying,"

"Zane, if you touch any of her things-" Emma growled, glaring hard at him.

"I'll catch up." he cut her off before slipping back inside the boat.

I pulled Emma down to be seated beside me and we took off, the boat skipped across the water swiftly. But I knew this wouldn't end well.