Chapter 4 - That's Not My Legs!

After bidding my friends goodbye, I walked home, making my way past the JuiceNet Cafe like I always did. I turned down an alley before finally reaching my destination. An old rusted ladder hung down from a set of stairs built onto the side of the building. Gripping the cool metal with both hands, I hoisted myself up, taking the steps two at a time. I didn't want to get caught doing this - not like I ever had before, that is. I climbed up the rest of the stairs before reaching an apartment with a broken window covered up by a thin, worn sheet.

I pulled it back slightly as I slipped inside. The sheet fluttered closed behind me and after a few seconds, my dark eyes adjusted to the dim lighting inside. Around the room was odds and ends I'd collected over the months - books, figurines, containers, etc - and in one corner of the room liked a pile of old blankets and sheets. My own little storage space. Bits of trash and debris crunched under foot as I slung the backpack on my shoulder down onto the floor. It was good to be home.

Even if it was an abandoned apartment building. It was mine and no one else's. I didn't have to answer to anyone. Pushing a strand of brown hair behind my ear, I flopped down on my bed of blankets in exhaustion. I let out a sigh. It had been a long day.

I stretched out my hand then and grabbed up a water bottle sitting beside me. Unscrewing the cap, I put it to my lips and gulped the clear liquid down. I let a sigh escape my lips in that moment, feeling a more awake now. Suddenly, a strange, tingling sensation began in my legs and thighs. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, I glanced down. What in the- My eyes widened in shock then because what I saw next was not normal and it certainly wasn't my legs. The lower half of my body was now long and covered in scales - bright, shiny, and orange. I gasped, the bottle of water falling from my hand.

What had happened to me?!