Chapter 22 - Time to Choose

You should have left me, cut off the rope...

"Mako Island will be transformed-" his dad went on to describe the expansion of the resort when I cut him off.

"How ugly. Is this your idea of good design?" I spoke up before glancing around me, "Well, I guess so,"

Zane's father sighed, "Feedback is always important. Even from people who'd never afford to live in a place like this,"

"Who could enjoy a holiday knowing that 16 species were wiped out so they could sit by the pool and sip over-priced drinks?"

It only took a second for Zane to get up out of his seat and pull me off to the side to discuss my little outburst.

"Leona, you have to cool it. This is my dad's lunch - business stuff is his thing," Zane tried to explain.

"Are they your thoughts? Or your dad's?" I asked, feeling a bit betrayed that he seemingly took his dad's side over mine.

"This is not the time and place to be making an issue,"

"You always pick your dad's side? Even when you know he's wrong? Can you at least try thinking for yourself? Or do you have to ask daddy first?" I asked, feeling deflated and hurt as I walked out of the party.

This was not how I thought it would go - dating Zane. I thought there'd be fireworks, late night talks, and the possibility that we could turn this relationship into something beautiful. Instead, all we got were secret, lies and arguments that neither of us resolved. And for the first time in my life...I knew I had to choose. Between what I'd wanted and what I knew I needed. And maybe, just maybe...that wasn't Zane. 

Not if he was going to act like this - just let his dad say those things to me and be his puppet. I didn't have a home, money like he did. Up until now, that never truly bothered me. But maybe for Zane it did. So when I finally arrived back at the party, back in my regular clothes with the dress balled up in my hand, I knew what I had to say.

"Mako Island is unique. It's been untouched for thousands of years," Emma was saying as I walked up, still trying to convince Zane's dad.

"Emma's right. Developing Mako Island is wrong and greedy. Not to mention stupid. The water surrounding the island is home to the largest population of Mako sharks. You think they're just going to pack up and move on when they hear you coming? Oh! And they're protected, too. The island is an underwater wilderness. Everything will be lost - the dolphins in the lagoons, the rare green turtles, soft corals that aren't found anywhere else in the world. There's more: it'll all be on the list I send to the Environment Protection Agency. Once that's done, I'll contact the press. And then I'll organize a petition,"

After my long-winded speech, I could see both Zane and Emma smiling at me just as she got up.

"And I'll help her." she said, coming to stand on the other side of me not occupied by Zane.

But as Zane drew me to the side once more, I knew there was more left to say. I pushed the dress into his hands.

"You can have this back. If you wanna go on playing ventriloquist dummy to your dad, you can forget about being with me. Get this straight: I am not Miriam," I told him honestly, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I don't have a home, Zane. I never have. Money, either. I get by...through...stealing mostly, working on odd jobs... But I'll never be able to afford any of this,"

I took a moment to spread my hands, gesturing around me before continuing.

"I'm not the type of girl a guy like you usually goes for and I know that. I'm just a street rat, a thief. But I won't be made a fool of because of it. I'm proud of the little I have and that's enough for me,"

Zane was speechless at first, clearly taken aback at my admission. But slowly, a smile graced his features and he leaned down closer to me, pressing his forehead against mine as his hands cupped my cheeks.

"Oh, Leona...why didn't you just tell me? I don't care about that! I only care about you...just you, Lee," he admitted softly, warm breath tickling my skin as he spoke.

Slowly, our lips locked then in a warm, sweet kiss, my heart soaring in my chest as his hands slid to my hips. We would be okay. Zane accepted me anyway - even after finding out about my past. He knew now and it felt like a weight had been lifted now that he did. Plus he still cared for me. 

And no matter what, I knew I'd always care about him, too.