Fear

"Who the fuck are you?"

I turn around at the sound of the voice, seeing a group of six slightly older kids carrying weapons like baseball bats and one spiked board. My mind was a bit delusional right now after such a stressful day so I didn't register the situation properly.

"Uhh..." I say, trying to remember what they asked. The boy in the front of the group - the one carrying the board - clicked his tongue and stepped forward threateningly.

"I aked you a question, bitch. Who the fuck are you?!" he says, grabbing the front of my shirt and pushing his face into mine, the board hanging loosely from his grip. I try to shove him away, the scenario finally settling in my mind, and panic starting to seep into my bones.

"Let me go!" I shout, trying to remove his hand. He swings the board up to grip it properly and raises it threateningly, forcing me to stop struggling.

"Listen here, you're on our street! So you have to play by our rules," the boy says menacingly, an evil grin creeping across his hideous face. Without warning, he leans forwards and the only thing that stops his lips from crashing against mine is my hand, pushing him back.

'Thank god for my fast reflexes,' I think to myself, bringing my other hand around to bat the board away from me, twisting it out of the boy's grip. We struggle for a second before I manage to get it over his head, bringing the part that didn't have nails driven through it down on his head. he stumbles backwards, letting go of my shirt, and I drop the board and run.

'Just get to the apartment building, (Y/N). Don't panic-'

A hand yanks me down an alleyway, covering my mouth with a second hand and holding me against a warm body. I cry out, immediately moving to rip it away, to bite it, to escape, but a voice hisses in my ear before I can do anything.

"Calm down, (Y/N)! It's just me!"

I stop struggling at the sound of Kiri's voice, turning around and throwing my arms around his chest. He freezes, patting my head awkwardly as I feel tears start pooling. A few seconds pass and I hear the group pass us, not sparing the alleyway a glance as they keep running in the direction they thought I had gone. A few more seconds pass as we let them get to a safe distance away before speaking.

"Why were you here?" I ask once I've calmed down and let him go. He rubs the back of his head, the other hand on his hip, a shy smile on his face.

"Well, I heard that there was a group around here harrassing people on the street. When I saw you heading off this way, I thought I might follow you to make sure you get home alright. And that sounded so much better in my head," he mutters and I chuckle, "What?"

"Thanks for worrying, not many people care about-" I stop myself before I say too much. I couldn't tell him. Not yet. No matter how nice he is, I can't tell him my past. He looks at me strangely and sighs, peeking his head around the corner of the building. The street was clear and we step out.

"Want me to walk you the rest of the way? Just in case?" he asks sweetly, and I nod. I don't fancy running into them alone again. The last few streets to the building were empty of angry teenagers, thankfully, and I wave goodbye to Kiri at the door. He smiles and waves back, one hand in his pocket, then turns away and walks back the way we came.

"Thanks, Kiri!" I call after him, and he just raises his hand again without turning around. I chuckle lightly and open the door, stepping inside and going up the stairs. Taking out my keys, I unlock door 207 and step inside.

"I'm home..." I mutter to an empty, dark, three room house. Dining room and kitchen were in the same place, study in another and bedroom and bathroom joined in one. I sigh, dropping my bag by the door and taking off my shoes. Trudging to the study, I open my laptop and browse the internet until 9 pm. Closing the screen, I shuffle to the kitchen and make a single plate of pasta, shoving it down my throat before having a shower. At 10, I finally fall into my bed and go through a nightmare of six boys chasing me down a dark street, finally catching up and beating me to death.