"Your highness, you should not be here," the Head Eunuch's high pitch voice has resounded inside the room, causing the skulking youth to inwardly panic.

Yan Jianhong has quickly shoved the piece of mineral in his sleeves before arrogantly raising his chin. "Benwang entered the wrong room. That is all."

Yao Li, the Head Eunuch, has stifled a smile before ushering the awkward yet adorable young prince out of the room.

Pouting and sulking, Yan Jianhong has thrown the rock on the lotus pond, scaring the small birds resting on the side.

The next day, a commotion has awaken the whole palace at the crack of dawn. People have discovered gigantic lotus plants in one of the ponds. Rumors have spread that a deity has descended and blessed the lotus plants. Some servants have even piously kowtowed and prayed before the giant lotuses.

It is only after a week when Yan Jianhong has remembered throwing the rock there and has this insane idea that the rock must be spiritual. So he boasts in front of his emperor-father and the Grand Tutor who just happens to be there. The two esteemed men only humor the then nine-year old crown prince. Yan Jianhong puffs his cheeks and turns his head away when he sees that  his emperor-father is clearly unbelieving.

Unbeknownst to him, Emperor Yan Long has ordered a few trusted servants to relocate those crates in the underground facility of the Imperial University

Unbeknownst to him, Emperor Yan Long has ordered a few trusted servants to relocate those crates in the underground facility of the Imperial University. He asks a familiar friend who is a professor there to study those rocks. The emperor isn't really hopeful or expectant but, as it turns out, those dull minerals have extraordinary effect. They are not exactly spiritual but can be considered magical and miraculous. Based on an extensive research and experimentation, they have found out that the minerals can boost a plant's vitality. A crop that usually grows and is harvested after six months, when watered with a solution of a powdered mineral and water, can be collected after one day and one night. Other plants show terrifying growth after receiving the same treatment. 

When the professor has first witnessed this with his own eyes, he... has fainted. Too miraculous!

The emperor has issued a gag order on all personnel who are involved with the project. He calls for the Grand Marshall and the Unit Commander and they decide to keep things in hush. The miners are going to mine the same way as before. However, a group of elite soldiers from the Hou infantry will have to pose as miners and collect the minerals as well as covertly transport them to a safe and secured place.

Things, nonetheless, don't usually go as planned. Despite their carefulness, one faction has gotten wind of this and has even involved King Deng Yin. The so-called invasion in the west ten years ago is nothing but a ruse, a diversion to hide the enemy's real objective. The scarred king has incessantly harassed the Yan soldiers by attacking and suddenly retreating; surprise raids; attempting to cut off supply routes; kidnapping and involving civilians. For a period of ten years, a guerrilla warfare between General Su and King Deng Yin has taken place.