Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"At what expense? Until they find out that he's been giving away confidential information? Until they lock him up? Until they kill him?" I watched her silently. She was right, I knew that. I was just too afraid to put any more lives at risk.

"How about we vote? I vote that we get Harry the hell out of there."

Appalled, I stared at her. "And I vote that this is the worst decision you will ever make." Sky stared at me. "He is not coming."

"What's going on?" Asked a new voice. I span to see Cassie approaching us with Colton in her arms. Jace followed after.

As if noticing I needed his support, Jace joined my side, and not Sky's. He frowned between us, sensing that something was off. He was good at doing that.

I didn't want to open any fresh wounds, so I decided not to tell Cassie that Sky fancied inviting her rapist to play. Instead, I shoved the piece of paper into Sky's hands, before spinning around and stalking off.

"Alexi!" I heard Elle yell after me, "we need a plan!"

"Make one up yourself! It seems that no one cares about my opinion anyway." And with that, I stormed through the double doors and left.

My plan would've been to leave, of course, so I made my way to my room to begin packing. I slammed the door behind me, gathering up the first items I saw and chucking them onto my bed. As I ripped clothes off the hangers, the door creaked open. Why do I never lock that damn door?

"You know, my mother always used to tell me that 'the person who gives up never really has a reason to'."

I rolled my eyes. "I don't need your stories from centuries ago, Elle," I snapped, not turning around to face her. "I haven't given up. I never do. But if I had done, I did have a reason."

"You'll be safe either way." She said suddenly, shutting the door and walking farther into the room.

"What?" I asked, shooing her away from the bed so I could pull a suitcase out from underneath it.

"The only person in harm is Harry. Leave Harry and you're fine, take Harry and you're fine." I finally looked at her, and stared. "Well, am I wrong?" She asked.

I sighed. "No, I guess not." She crossed her arms over her chest, raising an eyebrow at me. "But one of those options will upset Sky, and one may jeopardise the mission." I explained.

Elle pursed her lips as she pondered this for a moment. "How about you do neither?" She suggested, shrugging.

I frowned. "How?"

"Don't be in control. Resign from your leadership role." I gasped at her. I stood up from where I had been kneeling on the floor. I don't know if it was a slight heel on my boots or if she was just small, but I reached up higher than her.

"One, I never asked to be the leader. Two, no, that's giving up." Elle seemed to smile at that, but I wasn't sure.

"No one asks to be a leader—if you ask for it, you're not ready for it." Elle didn't quite make sense, but she did have far more experience with these things than I did, so I listened to her. Elle had actually convinced me.