2;

✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️

"Fucking idiot," I mutter under my breath

The "D+" scrawled in red ink at the top of my test is like a giant slap in the face. Another grade like this and I'm going to end up benched at the next hockey game. I could ask my roommate Alex for help, but psychology isn't really his field of expertise. It's not mine either apparently.

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit... There's no way I'm going to get scouted this season by the NHL if I'm not even on the ice.

A quick scan of the room around me pretty much confirms my suspicions. I'm probably one of the only ones who failed. No one else seems to be wearing a defeated look like the one I'm sure is plastered across my face at the moment, and if they are they're hiding it pretty goddamn well.

I raise a hand to my mouth and bite down hard on the first knuckle. Fuck me.

"For those of you who didn't do so well on this test," I swear the professor looks straight at me, "I'm offering a make-up at the end of next week. If your new score is lower than the one you just got, then the higher of the two will be kept."

I don't think it's possible to get a score lower than this.

I flip through the pages of my test, cringing internally with each red slash through my wrong answers. On the last page a simple note is written: "I suggest you get a tutor. Check the library as there might still be ads posted for one."

I shove the test into my bag haphazardly. This class was supposed to be an easy liberal course. "Psych 101." Nothing too in depth, but something to keep my GPA high enough to stay in hockey. But from the beginning of the semester it's like the words have gone in one ear and straight out the other. I'm losing my focus. It's hard to believe anyone wouldn't if they'd had a summer like I did though.

The students around me begin to file out of the lecture hall, but I stay frozen in my seat. I wish I had the fucking brains to go with all this brawn. I had never been the smartest kid in class growing up, but I did well enough to pass as at least average. C's and B's mostly, maybe an A here and there. Life changing news tends to change your outlook on shit though, especially when it's still so fresh. It's harder to get back on track and to prioritize your goals when you're told your own mother might only have two years to live.