Chapter 31

The Atrium of the Ministry of Magic swarmed with workers. As Trinity moved along, people shuffled away silently, leaving her in the center of an empty circle. If someone would meet her eye, they would quickly look down at their shoes and walk faster than they were before. Fear and tension was thick in the air, but it was normal whenever Trinity was sent to the Ministry on her father's orders. She was sent to make sure his rule was being followed through. It had only been a couple of weeks since Rufus Scrimgeour was killed and the Ministry was taken over. She knew her father wanted to make sure everything was going to plan, but it was still incredibly bold to do it in the second-most obvious way. It was surprising that no one, especially the Order of the Phoenix, had tried to stop it.

Only a few people were ever brave enough to say, "Good morning, Miss Riddle!" (To which she ignored.) These people were mostly the pure-blooded wizards and witches who were the top officials of the Ministry.

Yaxley came into view and she made her way over to him. "Same courtroom as before?" she asked, and Yaxley nodded, looking annoyed.

"Can't Magical Maintenance hurry up? It's been raining in my office all morning! I've got to get to that courtroom soon. Ten Mudbloods to sentence today." Yaxley growled, which explained his mood. "Cattermole, over here now!" he yelled to one worker, who became startled when addressed, and turned back to Trinity and gave an amused laugh. "And one of them's his wife!"

"What a shame. You'd think he'd be with her. He probably regrets marrying her. Well, I'll be off to get the report from Thicknesse and then I'll head to the courtroom," she said which cause Yaxley to laugh again. She turned and went towards the lift, back in her own empty circle as before.

Finally, the lift stopped on level one and Trinity got out. Down the hall, she knocked on one of the doors. A "come in" was audible from the other side.

The office was large, and there was a lit fireplace on the adjacent wall. Bookshelves were on the wall and a large desk sat in the middle of the room, with Pius Thicknesse sitting at it. "Good morning, Minister. I'm afraid this will be the last time we'll be seeing each other for a while. But that's good, seeing as you've proven you can be the Minister and we won't have to find anyone else."

"Yes. That is good," he said, but his eyes seemed to not focus completely. "Would you like anything? A cup of tea or coffee?"

"I'm fine. I've only got a few questions for you and then I'll be on my way," she said and sat down in the chair in front of his desk. Who do you serve?"

"Why, I serve the Dark Lord of course."

"And you will follow his every order?"

"Yes."

"What would you do if you found out where Harry Potter was?"

"I'd alert the Dark Lord and aid in his capture."

"How are the Muggle-born trials going?"

"We've got a handful or two of people coming in everyday. They're being sent to Azkaban for his or her crimes. There are still some out there evading us, but we've got the majority and we won't stop until every last one is locked away."

"Is any Ministry employee defying your orders?"

"Not directly. There is control. But we shouldn't start firing them in case it upsets the Ministry's order. We've got tabs on everyone and if they are in contact with an Undesirable."

"Perfect. Everything that I've come to check is in order. I'll report to my father that you'll do just fine handling the position of Minister for Magic."

"Let me show you out, Dolores wished to see me before the trials," Thicknesse said and got up from his chair.

A while later, Trinity was sitting in the courtroom a couple of rows behind Umbridge, Yaxley, and Mafalda Hopkirk. She despised being in there, watching innocent Muggle-borns being carried out to Azkaban by dementors. They surrounded the room, waiting for a chance to attack the victims. The only thing that held the back was the silver cat pacing in front of Umbridge. But there was no getting out of that courtroom.

She sat in the cold, dense air since she would have to sit by Umbridge for warmth, and she would have to be killed before she would sit next to that toad. Her fingers prickled in the frigid air as she tried to warm them up by bunching them up in her sleeves. Trinity always tried her best to zone out the dementors behind her and Umbridge in front, but today, everything seemed off. A middle-aged witch shuffled in next, shaking violently as she made her way to the seat in the center of the room, where she was instantly chained to it. Trinity soon learned it was the wife of the Ministry worker that Yaxley had made a comment about earlier.

Umbridge had to talk loudly over the sobs of the woman confined to the chair and Mafalda jumped so suddenly, she nearly knocked everything off the table a couple seconds later. It couldn't have been from Umbridge. She's been raising her voice this whole time. Trinity thought.

"Stupefy!" a voice yelled and an arm and wand appeared out of nowhere. Umbridge limply fell to the ground and soon after, Yaxley did too. The Patronus was gone and warmth vanished. Dementors started gliding towards the center of the room.

"Harry!" Mafalda yelled. Trinity instantly was dumbfounded. Harry can't be here! Could he?

"Hermione! I wasn't going to let Umbridge—" a Ministry worker named Albert Runcorn started as he fully appeared.

"Runcorn! Hopkirk! What is going on here?!" Trinity demanded, holding her wand out in front of her as the two whirled around, eyes wide.

"Expelliarmus!" Runcorn yelled, but Trinity blocked it.

"Harry?! It is you! What in bloody—" Trinity stopped as she saw a dementor inches away from Mrs. Cattermole. "Expecto patronum!"

Silver light flooded the room, warming it from the previous icy air, and formed into a large animal. The lioness pounced on the nearest dementor to Mrs. Cattermole and sent it back into the shadows. It circled around the room, restraining the dementors again. She performed the Muffliato Charm on Umbridge and Yaxley. "Get Mrs. Cattermole and the rest of them out of here. Umbridge and Yaxley won't stay like that forever."

Harry, although he looked like Runcorn, had a confused look on his face.

"Don't you remember what I told you fifth year? Snape isn't the only one Dumbledore let be a double agent."

"I've got the Horcrux!" Hermione as Mafalda yelled holding up a locket.

"Horcruxes? Here!" Trinity exclaimed, pulling out a crumpled paper and handing it to Harry. "Dumbledore thought you'd need some help. I put down some locations the rest could be in. But I'm not entirely sure. But I know Nagini is one of the Horcruxes. I overheard my father saying something about it to her it a couple of months ago. He treats that snake better than a daughter. And I should know.

"You two need to make a Patronus to keep the other dementors away. Follow mine out of here to get out of here quickly. If you get the chance, can you tell everyone that I'm sorry for anything I said last year? I couldn't let the other Death Eaters think I was on your side."

Harry nodded and the three ran out after the lioness, leaving Trinity back in the courtroom. The dementors moved again, but only out the door to join in the chase. Trinity hurried over to where Yaxley and Umbridge were. Their wands were lying besides them respectively, and she took them and snapped them both in half. When she was out of the room she yelled, "Colloportus!" and sealed the door.

The broken wands vanished as Trinity waved her wand and she ran towards the lift. It opened to reveal a couple of wizards who stopped laughing when they saw her.

"Move! They're getting away! They locked Yaxley and Umbridge in the courtroom and attacked me when I tried to get them!" Trinity ordered and the wizards ran past her to go free the other two.

She sighed in relief as the doors slid shut. After she got out at the main floor, the other lift opened and Yaxley ran out yelling for them to seal the exits and cursing because he did not have his wand. However, everyone escaped in time, even though Yaxley followed them. Trinity prayed that they would not get caught and watched the silver lioness disappear in front of the many eyes who searched for its owner.