Chapter 16

2 days later

12pm
My eyes fluttered open, as the afternoon sun hit my face.
I pulled a pillow over my head, and groaned.

Stupid sun.
I was in no mood to do much of anything actually.
I just wanted to sleep, and keep my mind off the negative. Considering the news I was told a day ago, that option sounded about right.

I had agreed to testify against my own father in his trial.
I pulled the pillow away from my face, and sighed.
I was conflicted about how I was feeling about this.
I wanted to give him the justice that he deserved; I mean, he did try to kill me.
But at the same time, I hadn't had a parent in my life since forever.
I didn't know how my father felt about me, or if there's more to the story..

I turned over, closing my eyes, trying to get back to sleep.
Just then, I felt hands wrap around my waist, and Steven kiss my forehead.
"Lana, baby.."
I groaned. "What?"
I turned back over to meet his eyes.
"Detective Morales is going to be here in an hour. Remember? When he called you the second time, you arranged to meet about the trial?"
I let out a breath, and forced a smile.
"Oh yeah, I forgot.." I murmured.
To be perfectly honest, I was trying to forget. That's why I was trying to go back to sleep.

I sat up in bed, looking at Steven.
He smirked.
"What?"
I giggled lightly. "Nothing. I just don't know what I would do without you."
Steven smiled, and kissed me.
"Now go get ready."
~~~~
I was putting some finishing touches on my makeup, when I heard the doorbell ring.
"Steven!!!" I yelled.
"Got it!" He yelled back.
I assessed myself in the mirror, and took a deep breath.
'Here goes nothing' I thought to myself.

I walked down the stairs, to see Steven and the detective shaking hands.
He noticed me and held out a hand.
"Nice to see you again, Ms. Cooper." I shook his hand in response.
"You too, Detective Morales. And, you can call me Lana."
We walked into the living room, Steven and I sitting together on the couch, and Morales sitting in the chair across from it.
I let out a nervous breath, and Steven gripped my hand, bringing me some relief.
He always managed to calm me down.
"So, Lana, I am here to not only give you advice, but also let you know what to expect."
I gave a small smile as he continued.
"You will not be allowed to have any contact with the suspect, until after the verdict. Then you may do as you wish. Your father, as of now, does not know you are the witness. It is expected that he will be a little mad."
I sighed. "A little mad?! His idea of a little mad is attempted murder! Am I gonna be safe??"
"I promise you will be safe. Now, may I continue?"
I nodded.
"Okay, when you get up to the booth, you swear on the Bible to be honest. That means you have to be. You have to give a detailed account of what your father did to you. Trust me, it will be intense."
I raised an eyebrow slightly. "And then what?"
"Then the judge will give the jury leave to deliberate. This may take anywhere from 5 hours to a couple days, considering the charges against him. Either way, you will be present for it. And then we go from there; however you want to deal."
I let out a deep breath. "Okay."
"Your boyfriend here, and I will be in the courtroom: him in the seats, and me next to you. You will be okay."
I sighed. "Alright."
~~~~
I laid with my head on Steven's chest.
"Are you okay, baby?" He asked.
I sighed. "Yeah, I'll be okay."
"Are you sure? The trial's tomorrow."
I chuckled. "I know..I'm just..nervous about being face to face with my father . We don't have a relationship, but he's still my father. I just know it's going to be intense; this will prove to me.."
"Prove to you what?" Steven asked, looking down at me.
"It will prove to me, if what I'm doing is right. If things would have been different, despite everything."
Steven kissed me softly, and pulled back after a minute. "So, it will be closure of a kind?"
I cuddled closer to him. "Yeah. Closure. And what it takes to get it."
~~~