Chapter 12

I slowly opened my eyes, trying to adjust to the light coming from the window. I couldn't see what time it was, but I knew it was early afternoon.

I noticed Martin was pacing, and muttering things to himself.

I felt a sharp pain radiate from my face, and then I remembered: he punched me. My own father punched me.
I sat up on the floor where I had fell, and looked at Martin; his back was to me.
I stood up as quietly as I could, and started to tiptoe to the door. I had to get out of here.
"I wouldn't if I were you." Martin spoke.
I turned towards him, and my heart started to race as the barrel of the gun he was holding was inches from my face.
"Okay, just calm down.." I said, walking around him, and sitting on the couch.
He laughed, grabbing at his hair.
"I need to tell you.." He murmured.
"Need to tell me what?" I asked.
"Your mom...she locked me up.."
"Wait, what? Locked you up where?" I spoke quietly.
"Meadows Institution..I..god.." He replied.
My mouth dropped open. My mom locked up my biological father in a mental ward. She would only do that if he was...mentally insane.
I suddenly got really scared but I wasn't going to show it. I had to try and talk him down, or he was gonna kill me.

"What happened?" I asked.
"We were in love..or so I thought..I loved your mom. We were in love, I swear. But she cheated with that scumbag..married him..with your stepdad. I couldn't take it; without your mom, I didn't wanna live..because of how I acted, she locked me up at Meadows. I got out a few years later, and tried to be a part of my family, be a dad to you, Lana. And she took that away from me. I couldn't deal with that man replacing me. You all were so bloody happy, it was disgusting. I wanted revenge...I didn't mean for it to go as far as it did..and now you said...she..is dead.."

I felt tears well up in my eyes. My mom had cheated. There really were things she hadn't told me. For some reason, I didn't know how to feel towards her now that I learned all of this. Anger, disappointment, sadness. I wasn't sure which. Just numb.
My father. My birth father. He was standing in front of me, telling his story, and just admitted to killing my mom, and stepdad.
I had to get out of here.
"Martin.." I started.
He was crying now. "Don't come any closer, my girl."
Just then, my phone rang.
My heart pounded, as Martin looked panicked.
"Pick it up..who is it?" He asked me.
"My..boyfriend." I replied hesitantly.
"Answer it. Put it on speaker."

I pressed 'Answer', then my speaker, and put on a smile.
"Hey baby." I said.
"Hey, did you get home safe? I miss you." Steven said, a smile in his voice.
"I miss you too.."
"What are you doing?"
My father moved behind the couch, and held the gun to my head.
"Lie." He whispered.
I gulped, tears springing to my eyes.
"Just about to make some food, and watch TV." I replied.
Steven chuckled. "I wish I was there with you, but the guys and I are going to the studio to write and work."
"Have fun babe." I said, tears spilling silently.
I sniffled, and Steven spoke again. "Are you okay?"
I chuckled. "Of course, why wouldn't I be?"
The barrel of the gun felt cold against my temple.
"Okay, then I'll see you soon. I love you, Lana."
"I love you too Steven."
As soon as he hung up, I started to sob uncontrollably.
I had to get out of this. But I wasn't sure I would. But I would die trying; I wasn't going to leave Steven at the hands of my father.
~~~
A/N I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while. I'm grounded and not even supposed to have my phone. I should have it back in about a week or so. I appreciate all of you guys for being patient!
Love,
Hannah <3