LXI • Hopeless

It was as if the apocalypse had happened a second time. The Sanctuary was overrun with strangers in full SWAT gear, people Daphne had never seen. Spencer led a parade of guys restraining his prisoners, and the blonde thrashed against the two big assholes that dragged her through the gates.

One smashed the back of her head with his fist and stars exploded behind her eyes. They picked her up like a rolled up rug, one grasping her legs and the other her torso. What the fuck was happening?

They went down into the cell block, and Regina's angry war cry pierced the air up ahead. As Daphne's convoy passed the grated room with the chains hanging from the ceiling, her eyes widened at the sight of Spencer overseeing two guys lifting Negan's wrists into the shackles.

Panic tore at her chest with icy claws and she screamed, spitting and bucking as hard as she could. She caught a glimpse of amber eyes, and her blood froze at the concern in them. He never looked concerned.

If Negan was concerned, they were well and truly fucked.

"DON'T YOU DARE FUCKING KILL HIM!" she shrieked, struggling with every ounce of strength she had, and managed to slip a leg free, kicking a captor square in the face.

She heard Negan's chuckle as the body flopped in front of the door of his prison, and she tried to lunge, feet giving her leverage against the cement floor.

Daphne's world flipped upside down as the asshole holding her literally flung her through the air into one of the solitary cells. She hit the back wall and the wind flew out of her, but she launched herself back at the door.

She was too late. It slammed in her face and she pounded on it, screaming until her throat was raw. Then she screamed some more.

She punched the door until blood poured down her arm, and then started to kick it instead, sobs overtaking her.

None of the prisoners slept that night.

EARLIER...

Frankie burst into the infirmary as soon as Regina had left to go outside to meet Spencer, eyes wild. Amber nearly leapt out of her skin, putting a nitrile gloved hand over her chest. She was sitting with Maggie, ultrasound equipment in full swing.

"Something is happening," the redhead panted, looking around at the cluster of pregnant Nomad victims waiting their turn. Talia strode over from Mel's bed, putting a hand on Frankie's shoulder.

"What, what's happening?" she asked calmly, in her no-nonsense mom voice.

"Gina's facing off against a guy outside, he's got Negan," Frankie explained breathlessly. "I don't think this is Alexandria, there's an army of guys in like, armor. What do we do?"

Amber froze, eyes wide and fearful, and looked to Talia for answers.

The dark-haired woman steeled her gaze and took a deep breath. "There's an old tunnel that the Saviors keep clear as an evacuation place in case of emergencies. We'll get all the non-capable fighters down there, and they can make a run for the Kingdom," she said, and squeezed Frankie's hand. "Go down to the marketplace, tell Nicola, and then go to the school and help them get all the kids down there."