XL • Lessons and Obsessions

Daphne slowly paced around the bound redneck, bootheels clicking on the cement floor. The knots securing his wrists and ankles to the steel chair were already chafing his skin, and she admired her handiwork.

Daryl, one of the Alexandrians has called the guy. He looked positively morose, guilt marring the expression that had been so proud and intense when he'd punched Negan in the face.

She gently lifted the strap of the crossbow from her shoulder and set the weapon on the table by the door. She didn't miss the longing in his glance at it, and her lips curled into a smile.

"You know, before I had Dwight killed, I overheard him talking about a rugged redneck he and his wife mugged," Daphne said, cocking her head. "Described him as a squinty-eyed shaggy haired idiot with a motorcycle and a crossbow. Said he was a gullible moron that was quick to trust and even quicker to be overpowered." She slid forward into his lap, straddling him. "I'd bet my left tit that moron was you, wasn't it?"

When he didn't answer, she took a fistful of his dark locks, wrenching his head back. "You know, Regina doesn't need a lot of encouragement to start taking pieces off of Miss Pregola," she purred. "You should really answer me when I ask you a question."

"It was me," Daryl said, defiance in his husky drawl.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Daphne laughed. "That's a pretty pathetic claim to fame, getting outsmarted by those two."

"Please don't hurt Maggie," he rasped.

"Well that's up to you and your little community, Daryl." She let go of his hair to smooth it down in mock affection. "If you're an obedient little puppy, and your friends pay their dues, then nobody has to shack up with Lucille."

"Well, sweet fuckin' Maggie is in a much more precarious situation than you, bulldog," came a familiar voice from the doorway, and Daphne turned to smile at Negan. He leaned on the doorframe, picking a sliver of flesh from the barbed wire bat as if he were casually checking his fingernails. "She's got eight months or less to convince us not to crack her fuckin' head open as soon as that baby is born."

Daryl clenched his jaw, glaring daggers at his captor. Negan laughed, pushing off of the doorframe to stride forward. He leaned on his knees so he was at eye level.

He motioned between them with Lucille, raising an eyebrow. "You hitting on my fuckin' woman, bulldog?"

Daphne laughed, trying to ignore the heat twisting her chest at what he'd just called her. 

Daryl winced and turned his face away from her.

"What, you're not into me?" Daphne pouted playfully. "I thought we were bonding." She ran a finger down his stubbled cheek, and he shrank away from her as far as his bound body would allow. "I'm just fucking with you, redneck. I can't even tell if you're sexy, you need a shower so bad." She pinched his nose and wiggled it playfully.

Negan stood up his his full height and offered his hand to her. She took it to gracefully dismount from their prisoner and he tucked her arm into his, leading her to the door regally.

"Welcome to the first fuckin' day of the rest of your miserable life, bulldog!" He bellowed as he kicked the door shut.

As soon as the latch clicked, Negan shoved Daphne against the cement wall by her throat. Her heart thudded in excitement at the blaze in his eyes, the strength in his arm. He wasn't squeezing hard, just enough to hold her there, but she knew the power that thrummed through him.

"You are a fuckin' bad girl." His voice was menacing and low, licking her spine with tongues of fire. "Rubbing that hot little body of yours all over the fuckin' enemy."