The male notices my dejection.

The tail that I am not bothering to pick up. The ears that are down. Sagging body.

He seems at a loss for what to do.

So when the wolves curl up, resting for the day so that they can go hunting within the night- he pushes me aside, pressing me down and into his frame.

It's only then that I register how much bigger his wolf is compared to mine. As his body twists around me, creating a shelter from the cold north winds that traveled down the mountain.

A low whine leaves his throat.

I glance down to find his grey eyes staring at me, a question within them. But he won't shift.

For some reason, this wolf has chosen to stay within his fur. Reject his skin.

I slowly, almost hesitantly, place my head down upon his stretched-out paws.

If we were in our skins, this would be an intimate position. But we are not. Instead the two bodies that we press together are not out of desire. It's out of comfort.

I glance around at the pack, taking in the family structure that I had been trying to piece together.

Strange.

It was strange that the skin side desired power and dominance. Strange that we only thought it natural to blame these feelings upon our wolves.

We act like animals; therefore, it is because of our animals that we do so.

It felt even more strange, for me to realize, that maybe those actions were not like that of an animal at all.

***

The male takes me aside again.

He is teaching me how to hunt.

I'm able to realize this much as he shows me, almost step by step, the way to stalk forward. To be silent.

Deadly.

Anticipation runs through me as I think of what I could do with this knowledge. Rarely did warriors train their fur side on the art of silence.

It was always loud, ever-present violence that had been hammered into the mind.

But this male was showing me something else.

Something new as I took in his calm steps that moved across the ground. His paws that managed to not make a sound within the rocky ground and dead foliage.

He was teaching me a new lesson.

Silence was lethal.

Death did not always come in the form of battle cries and snarling canines.

It didn't have to come in the method of ripping skin and screams of pain.

It could be quick.

It could be painless.

It could be quiet.

This time I am more successful. I show him the winnings of my hunt, letting him look down upon my two rodents.

I imagine approval running through those grey eyes. But then again, the wolf was hard to read. It could all have been something I had made up within my mind to appease my worries.

And like the other night, once he is done showing me, he pushes me back to the pack.

Our lesson of the hunt over. 

Confession: I thought today was Friday and had a mini panic attack thinking I had forgotten to update

Confession: I thought today was Friday and had a mini panic attack thinking I had forgotten to update. Then I realized it was Thursday. 

And then I almost forgot to update. 

(take a moment to appreciate this infinite wisdom and brain power that is at work) 

Hope you enjoyed the update (that I managed to remember) 

Until Next time, 

Loves, 

/////WORLD_JOY_/////