53

Kenny

I woke up sitting at the table in Coby's house. This place was a mess but I wanted to wait with him until his parents got back. He hesitated quite a bit before I finally convinced him. I looked around and there was no sign of anyone.

Coby was sleeping on the couch with his dog Manny. I got up and walked around. The kitchen was the worst part. There was stuff everywhere. Coby said his parents left a note on the fridge. I looked at it and frowned.

As a writer, I know old handwriting when I see it and this note was definitely old.

I walked over to the couch and the boy was sleeping like he hadn't slept in days. I decided not to bother him just yet. His golden retriever was bright eyed and bushy tailed. I patted my leg and he ran over to me making Coby instantly wake up.

"Good morning champ." I said.

He rubbed his little eyes and yawned, "Good morning." He said lazily. His eyes brightened when he was the paper in my hand, "Another note? I guess I'll get up earlier next time. I never get up early enough."

"Coby when was the last time you saw your parents?" I asked as he got up.

"We all went to church on Sunday." He replied putting cereal in Manny's dog bowl.

"Yesterday?"

"No...on pastor jakes' birthday. They had cake and juice after church."

"Pastor Jakes?" I asked. His birthday was two and a half weeks ago. Toni and I sent him a card and a check. Who leaves a child for two damn weeks?! "Hey, go get your shoes, we're going for a ride."

*******************************

McKenna

I walked through the hallway with everyone staring at me. You know that look people give you when they've been talking shit about you?

I got to my locker and saw it completely vandalized. Slut, whore, bitch, gang bang, and more all written on my locker in permanent marker. I heard people snickering as I opened it. I gasped seeing all of my school work, pictures, and books covered in paint.

Everyone began laughing. That was until principal Grey came down the hall walking towards me.

"Ms. Edmonds, I need you to come with me." He said. I heard several oohs and snickers as I closed my locker and followed him.

"Have a seat." He said as we walked into his office. I sat down and he sat at his desk. "Your teacher told me you're not much of a talker."

I shrugged.

"Look, I know you're having a hard time here. I saw the video and Reggie and his friends have all been expelled. If you or your parents wanna press charges you for sexual harassment, I'll provide you with my lawyer's information."

I shook my head.

He sighed,"I have your backpack. Everything is still there." He said handing it to me. "Look, you seem like a sweet girl. Kids can be cruel, but I want you to know that if you ever have anymore problems you let me know. I don't care if I have to suspend the whole school."

"It's okay. I won't be here for long anyway. Thank you but don't waste your time. No one cares about me not even my family, you shouldn't either." I finally said.

He looked relieved yet confused, "I find that hard to believe."

"I have to get to class."

"Okay. See ya."

"Bye." I left and went straight to class.

*******************************

Toni

It's Midnite, tell me
Do you know where your man is
It's been a while
Since he left and he ain't checked in
It's Midnite, tell me
Do you know where your man is
Cause something's up, no doubt no doubt
Girl you better find out find out

"That was perfect. I think we're done for the day." My producer said.

I smiled, "Cool. I'll see you guys later."

I drove home and saw a car parked in my driveway. I walked in the house and Mila stood up from the couch.

"Hey."

"Hi. Can we talk?"

I nodded pointing to the couch and we both sat down. "I'm sorry I wasn't the one to tell you everything. I wanted to wait until the time was right." I said.

"It's okay. Zena's Mom is a cop and I had her run my DNA. She found my parents but she told me I should speak to you. Who were they? Where are they? Do they know me?"

"Their names were Donna and Isaac Strauss. They died 16 years ago. Murder-suicide."

"Oh my god."

"Your mother was very kind, very pretty. A Haitian woman who moved to Atlanta at 6 years old for a better life. She had that until your father came into her life."

She paused, "Wait...you and Dad adopted me when you were my age?"

I chuckled, "We were a little older than you but still two teenagers trying to raise a 2 year-old with a disability."

"Disability?"

"That's another story for another day."

"Wow...you guys were raising me when you could have been partying every night and having fun with your life." She said. I was confused on where she was going with this until she hugged me. "Mom I'm sorry for being an ungrateful brat. I love you so much." She cried.

I smiled and kissed her head. We still have a long way to go but this is a good start.

"I love you too." I said as the doorbell rang. "I'll get it. Why don't you go unpack and talk to McKenna. She's been in a funk since you left."

She went upstairs as I went to the door. There was some guy on the porch, he was the epitome of tall, dark, and handsome. I know I'm married but that doesn't mean I can't look...damn.

"Hi, my name is Simon Grey

"Hi, my name is Simon Grey. I'm the principal at your daughter McKenna's school." He said snapping me out of the lustful thoughts on my head.

"Hi. Is everything okay? Did something happen today?" I asked concerned.

"Well more like every day. The kids have been bullying McKenna for a while and at the peak of it, I decided to a talk with her."

"McKenna never mentioned anything about being bullied. She's a quiet person, but she knows she can talk to us about anything."

"Are you sure?" He asked pulling out his phone. He showed me a video of some boys touching and messing with her. My eyes watered seeing the fear on her face.

"I had no idea."

"I know this is hard to watch but I think you should talk to her. She said some alarming things in my office today and I'm afraid she might hurt herself." He said making me shake my head.

"No, McKenna's not like that. She's a strong girl, we raised her to be -"

"MOM!!!"