Healing and growing

'I'm so sorry for making you wait so long!' Then proceeds to not post on this for like 2 months. So, erm.. yeah. School is a bitch. Sorry. *cringes* Okay, I swear the next one will be out soon, okay?

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT own blue exorcist

Rin Pov

Everything felt hot, I was lightheaded, and I couldn't get the dopey smile off my face. Ren kissed me. He actually kissed me. I let out a little giggle. I sounded like a girl. Not that it mattered. He's just playing you, once you think you happy, he'll hurt you all over again. The voice in the back of my head hissed. I frowned, the voice snapping me back into reality. Why did that voice have to sound so much like Yukio of all people?

I ran a hand over my arm, observing the faint scars that my healing seemed to miss. The white against my already pale skin made them hard to see if you didn't know where to look. I smirked a bit. Accelerated healing didn't always equal no scars.

I pulled my phone out, flicking through my playlists before settling on one with calmer songs. Laying on my bed and thinking was a favorite pass time of mine. It helped me think. As I pondered what this would mean for my relationship with Ren, my phone went off. I looked at the caller ID. Private number. I cringed, not wanting to answer for fear of who it could be. I let it ring.

They left a voice mail, and it was merely someone else, apologizing for the wrong number. I smiled in relief, not Yukio. Although I was definitely better, I was still healing. I still needed time before I'd be willing to talk with him. Which probably wouldn't be for a long time.

LINE BREAK

"Morning, Rin. You make breakfast?" Juzo yawned. I smiled. "Yeah, just some scramble eggs and bacon. Something easy to make, ya know." "Got something on your mind?" He asked. I gave a silent shrug. "I guess." I needed to have some sort of conversation with Ren, but I didn't want to talk about it with him. Bon, maybe. Just someone I knew better.

As everyone else slowly came in, I started panning out the food, my mind still wandering to other places. As I got everyone their breakfast, I fixed my own plate and sat down. Ren was across from me, and I felt a twinge of nervousness. After a few moments of working out how I was going to speak with him, I felt the words on my tongue. I spoke before I could psyche myself out.

"Ren, can I talk to you in a bit after breakfast?" I asked, just barely stopping myself from running words together. "Hmm? Yeah sure. Just let me finish eating." His eyes wandered to my plate, my food was untouched. "And you finish eating, too." I laughed a bit. "Okay, okay." Once we had finished, I pulled Ren outside, where we were alone. I took a deep breath. We needed to discuss this. "Listen, I really like you. I want to see how a relationship with you would turn out. All I want, is that we take things slow." I smiled nervously, silently praying that he'd be okay with my terms.

I could barely meet his eyes, but I looked up in time to see his anxious expression faded to one of relief. "Th-that's it? Your only concern is not taking this too fast? Rin, I would be happy to wait for as long as you possibly need. The last thing I want is for you to feel like you have to do something you don't want to. God, I'll take things at a snail's pace if need be." I fought down a laugh.

"Nothing like that, I just don't want to rush anything. Ya know, no sex before the second date." I smirked. "Or is that what you expect from your dates?" I teased. Ren's face flushed. "I'll have you know I'm well beyond having a slutty partner like that!" He yelled indignantly. It was too much, before I knew it was laughing my ass off. I looked back up at him, and my cheeks stung.

His eyes had a look I'd never seen before. A different affection from what I was used to. I smiled and pressed a kiss to his cheek, Ren responded by pulling me into a hug. I laid my head on his shoulder and wrapped my arms around his neck, perfectly contented with staying in that position for the rest of my life. "Yeah, I think this could work."

LINE BREAK

"Woo hoo! I just got 50,000 yen off of an exorcist job!" Kinzo celebrated to Yaozo. I groaned when I heard that. "Something wrong, Rin?" Konekomaru asked, looking up from the book he was reading. I sighed.

"Sorry, it's just that I've been living here for a few months now and I'm not paying any rent or anything. I feel like I'm mooching off of you guys or something." I admitted. "Don't be silly Rin," Konekomaru said. "We like having you around, and you still do stuff like chores and cooking meals. You aren't mooching. Besides, what about exorcist jobs? They pay okay."

"I know, but that means they actually call me for said jobs, which they don't. I have a meister in knight which I got after 6 months of rushed training. It was enough for them to leave me the fuck alone. Have to admit, I cannot complain." I said, my voice dripped in the bitter tone I'd use referring to the Vatican.

Konekomaru winced at my statement. "Should you really be talking about your superiors like that, Rin?" He pointed out. "They wanted to kill me. I can be a little rude when referring to them." "I'm just saying." I shrugged, choosing not to respond.

LINE BREAK

"There's someone at the door, could someone please answer it?" Torako called out. "Got it!" I called over without a second thought. I quickly jogged over to the front door when I hesitated once more. What if it was him? I hadn't exactly hidden where I was going, so he could easily come for me and- no. I wasn't 16 anymore. I could say no to him. I took a deep breath, shaking slightily.

I opened the door.

"Surprise." Shiemi's sweet, cheerful voice reached my ears.