Confusion

Ok, another short chapter. Shorter, I should say. Still, I wanted something in Rin's POV, so I got this. I apologize for this utter shit.

DISCLAIMER: I OWN NOTHING!!

RIN POV

I was confused. Scared, even. Why did they all care so much? They all knew what I was. Knew what I came from. So why? Hearing Renzou bang on my door, tell me that they wanted to help, was something I'd never heard before. I thought... I didn't deserve it. He always said that I didn't, so why? When he saw my cuts, I didn't know how he would react. I could tell he was frustrated, that seems to be a common feeling towards me, and I was worried I'd done something wrong. Well, other than my nasty habit.

When he'd asked me for a full explanation, I hadn't meant to spill my guts to the guy, it just sort of, came out. None of it was made up though. It felt... cathartic, I guess, to let out those feelings. I guess someone needed to hear my thoughts on my family's bullshit. I suppose it was a sort of equivalent exchange when he told me about his mom and her history. I have to admit she sounded amazing. That night, I helped Mamushi cook dinner. Evidently she can't cook. She almost messed up boiling rice. So, I suppose I made dinner. It was enjoyable though, and the omurice was pretty good. They didn't even mind when I had Kuro eating with me at the table either, so that was a plus. I still didn't understand though. Nothing about it lined up with anything I was used to. I suppose in many ways it's a good thing, but that didn't make it less confusing. And they all seemed to be extra gentle with me.

Bon and Koneko, while still themselves, acted like I was made of glass at times. It was more noticeable with Bon, for... obvious reasons. Ren was more, I don't think loving would be the right word, but that's how it. He honestly gave me some affection. Sometimes I wonder if, I could have some kind of happiness with him. It would be nice. A few days later, I was over in the backyard by myself, playing a guitar I'd found in a closet somewhere. I had a guitar back at the apartment, but I had rushed to get out and so didn't grab it. The guitar was old, and had the name Momo scratched into the back. I assumed it was another sister of the Shima family or something. I was just sitting outside, singing by myself. I was about done with the song when I heard someone applauding. I jolted, stopping immediately.

"That was great, Okumura-san." "Nice, Rin." Oh, just Bon and Konekomaru. "Hey, guys." I said, turning to face them. I relaxed my posture. Not Yukio, not Yukio. Not anymore. They smiled at me. "Come on in. We're gonna go see that new horror movie that came out. Ya know," He grinned at Ren. "The one with all the bugs." Behind him, an ashen faced Ren shivered. "W-well, it is your turn to choose." I shrugged. "Okay. Let's go." Despite Ren's screams, it was mediocre at best. Later, I helped Torako -Bon's mom- make dinner.
That night, I'd fallen asleep on the couch watching TV, and when I woke up, I heard her talking to Ren's dad. "I don't know. I get that everyone's got their own disposition, but I've met him before. He seemed much more energetic and happy. Now, he..." she stopped, like it was something she didn't want to say. "He has the same look, Momo-chan had. And he's so quiet. It makes me wonder what could've happened to the poor thing." "I know what you mean. I see it too. Still, we can't push him. Hopefully he'll tell us in his own time."
I would've said something, but I was still really tired, so I just stayed quiet and listened. A moment later, I felt someone spread a blanket over me. That night, I wasn't as confused. But more than that, I was content, comfortable. The TV was still going, but it was calming. Some fantasy anime, I think. I didn't matter. When I woke up the next morning, they'd still be acting strange.

But, I didn't mind. They cared about me. They helped me. I went from living a lonely childhood in a monastery, to living at a school for exorcists and I got used to that. This is a way better set up, so I guess I could get used to it.