Chapter Thirty Two

After I rang the doorbell, I began to question if this was really the better option

Maybe facing the thugs would be better after all-

The door opened suddenly, revealing a terrible-looking Jacob.

His hair was disheveled, his eyes were red, and he looked like me after a math test. Exhausted and depressed.

As soon as he caught sight of us though, his entire being perked up.

"Ale?" He asked in disbelief.

"Aileen," I corrected impatiently. My God, it hadn't even been five seconds and I was already annoyed. "And we didn't have much of a choice. We were almost attacked by thugs."

Jacob looked from me to Hayley, and then back again several times. He appeared very stunned.

I blew out a breath impatiently and started tapping my foot. It was amazing, really- I'd only been in his presence for a couple seconds, and I was already aggravated beyond belief.

"Want a picture?" I demanded, my hands on my hips,  "Or can we go inside."

His face turned slightly red, and he spluttered, "Of course, I mean, yeah, I-"

I pushed past his stammering figure, and entered the house that I had determined my own personal Hell.

I took a look around the familiar entryway and staircase and let out a breath.

Never thought I'd be back here.

"Who goes there?" A familiar voice asked from the living room.

"Hey, Carson," I answered, suddenly feeling worn out. The past events seemed to catch up with me and my shoulders dropped.

Instead of going into the kitchen to see him, I went straight for the stairs and headed to my room, wanting nothing more than to curl up and block everything out.

My escape plan was foiled. My body was in pain from running. I was sweaty. And most of all, I wanted some food.

Jacob didn't protest, probably not wanting to test me right now.

Smart guy.

My feet dragged to my room, and I opened it with a grunt.

The familiarity of the room comforted me for a moment, but rather than let myself feel better, I collapsed onto the bed and shut my eyes.

I was out within seconds.

~~~

A loud noise awoke me from a good dream.

I was back at my dorm, drinking with my friends, and flirting with a guy. Then a horde of geese waddled in and started partying with us.

"That had better have been important," I grumbled, hoisting myself up with my arms.

Out of habit, my eyes searched out the window.

I watched as another snowball came crashing into the glass again, before forcing myself to get out of bed and roll up the window.

As I did just that, I noticed Josh standing in his normal spot, a hand in his pocket, looking dejected.

When he saw me, his face grew anxious.

"What?" I asked, sharper than i'd intended.

He opened his mouth to respond, then closed it. Finally he spoke, "I'm sorry."

Well, I'd hope so.

I stared at him cooly. "Is that all?"

His feet kicked a small pebble off the stone path. "I wish you would forgive me."

"Well, I wish I hadn't been punched in the face. We can't always get what we wish for, huh?" I shot back.

"For the record, your face doesn't look that bad," He said.

"Wish I could say the same about yours."

He frowned.

I almost apologized, but he suddenly said, "Look, I know I shouldn't have fought, but I thought I was helping you."

I gave him a dry look.

"What else do you want me to say?" He demanded, throwing his hands up in the air.

I opened my mouth to say something, then it occurred to me that there really wasn't anything I wanted him to say. I just kind of wanted him to leave.

So, I merely said nothing, and he sighed. Then Josh turned around and walked back the way he came.

For some reason, though, I felt no regret that he was leaving, and I simply shut the window and went back to bed.