Chapter 7: Courtship at Court 2

¤        ¤        ¤

If Lord Jasper laughed at the male courtier's powdered, pony tailed, curly cornered wig, froth of neck and knuckle ruffles, intricately embroidered coat, buckled knee breeches and black shoes, how much greater would he ridicule the low, exposed bosomed, low waisted, hideous hooped (two wide wilting wings off her hips) cambric gown his sister would wear when presented to the Queen.

   "I swear I shall sink if my brothers show the least amusement," Lady Louisa sniffed, regarding her hugely accentuated hips and breasts with dismal disfavour. "However can I make myself step before the entire court? Our skimpy gowns are nothing to these shocking monsters."

   "Because every lady there is attired likewise," her stepmother cooed, admiring the finishing touches her personal dresser was administering to the floral head gear as if she were responsible herself. "Nobody will expect any different. Doesn't hurt to expose flesh. Maybe, move that bird a little to the left, Toddles? To almost connect its beak with that blue one. Now isn't that exquisite? The dear creatures are kissing!"

   "Is that quite proper, stepmama Salina?" Louisa enquired, dismay dilating her eyes. "I find the notion of two love birds mating in my hairpiece disturbing."

   "Whoever mentioned mating, you absurd creature?" the Duchess chuckled, frowning and pursing her mouth playfully. "The slightest brush of the beaks!"

   "Isn't such a thing mating?" The debutante's innocent green eyes widened.

   "Enough!" The Duchess halted her maid's fingers fussing Louisa's chestnut tresses with a snap of her fan. "No more, don't dawdle, you look ravishing!"

    Not in the least encouraged by a compliment dubious in her ears, Lady Louisa followed her stepmother obediently out into the gallery above the great staircase, uncomfortably conscious of the strange swaying and squeaking of her skirts.

   'However did my mama survive such tight corsets?' she marvelled, stepping slowly and precariously down the steep stairs. 'This simple descent is getting me giddy. Oh dear, what if I faint in front of her Majesty?'

   Her confidence was boosted by her first reviewer. Initially her father's frowning stare at her glide down the stairs had alarmed her, but on her reaching the foot, her white arm poised on the banister, his face softened into an approving smile.

   "Very pretty! I commend your work, my dear," the Duke addressed his wife. "I imagined for an instant I saw an apparition of . . . No, let that pass, as she had to once."

   The frown briefly returned. Lost in a reverie, the Duke's eyes fixed on the floor. Then his dark brows snapped together as he jolted back to the present. Nodding at his daughter, as if to confirm some secret, he lifted his hand and clicked his fingers. A footman immediately emerged from a doorway hidden in the panelling beside the staircase. The click of a black leather case followed another impatient click of the fingers. Inclining his face forward, the Duke tenderly picked up from the gaping casket a delicate necklace of diamond tendrils, forming a pattern of flowers that glittered gloriously from the chandelier as he raised them to examine.

   Lady Louisa could hardly breath, her heart barely vibrated, before her father's inscrutable eyes flew from the dazzling stones dangling from his hand to her captivated countenance.

   "Suitable for a court presentation?"

   "Whose are they?"

   "How signifies its owner?"

   "I meant merely, whom is to wear them now: Stepmama Salina or I?"

   "Of course they're for you, silly child," the Duchess cackled. "Heavens, I have these sapphires. You didn't think you would go to court with those rubies?"