Chapter 2: The Heir and the Spare

When Lieutenant Darnley returned to the drawing-room, having exchanged his scarlet uniform for regimentals appropriate for formal occasions, the only person he found was his father. He was prevented from retreating by his lordship instantly perceiving and baying him a curt good evening.

"Good evening, sir," William responded, stepping bravely forward. "How are you?"

"Oh, tolerable, I thank you, tolerable, when one takes into account my many travails. I need not ask how you go on," he remarked dubiously. "You look uncommonly well!"

Lord Darnley did not seem to his son to derive gratification from this observation. To prevent his father eluting this was somehow attached to his recent scandalous adventures, William hastily introduced another topic.

"I understand that you've kept exulted company of late!" he quizzed. "We are to host a duke and duchess!"

"Yes, the Galvins," his lordship confirmed. "His Grace was in the Admiralty during Pitt's administration, but resigned fifteen years ago. For which there was no accounting, though I do recall some family scandal around that time. He was a most estimable politician. Her Grace is his second lady. Both are very civil and condescending."

"How fortunate," said his son dryly. "And their children?"

"From his first wife. The sons are suitors to your sister."

"Oh! May I anticipate a happy conclusion? No doubt the elder is the preferred aspirant. Are there any charming daughters for my plucking?"

His lordship frowned. "A Lady Louisa. She is in her first season."

"Ah! A blooming debutante! The prospect of this evening has suddenly improved. I was preparing myself for three hours of boredom."

Just then the door opened to allow the emergence of the ladies and his lordship had to bite back the admonition springing to his lips.

Half an hour later their ears detected the drawing up of a carriage outside the house, soon followed by the ringing of the doorbell.

"I will observe your juggling of suitors with rapt interest," whispered William to his sister. "Just remember, the elder has the money bags!"

Amelia only had time to flash a glare at him before she was obliged to school her countenance in order to receive her potential help-mates. The door opened and the guests were announced. In came the Duke with his lady on his arm and his three brown haired children in their wake.

Lord Darnley was transformed. He ran forward to shake hands vigorously with the gentlemen and bow over the wrists of the ladies. "I am afraid you are doomed to an exclusively family party this evening," he said. "Lady Darnley and I thought a small dinner marking the return of your sons and mine would not be disagreeable. You will allow me to introduce your Graces and lordships, and of course you, Lady Louisa, to my son, Lieutenant William Darnley, who is with us for the Allied Sovereigns' visit next week!"

The referred to young soldier was startled by his father's improvisation.

"I am delighted to meet you, Lieutenant," the Duke exclaimed, clasping William's hand warmly. "A significant time for a man to be in our army, aywhat? I assume you have just come back from France! Were you engaged in any action with the Duke?"

"I am sorry to disappoint your Grace, but to my profound frustration I have never even set foot on the Continent," William replied, his eyes alive with suppressed emotion. "My regiment was restricted for the duration of the war to guarding our shires and counties against the expected invasion."