Arzani

Niccolo Arzani's house was located in the Palace Quarter between the Summer Citadel and the Palazzo Condesta. A labyrinth of alleys surrounded it, cut off from the rest of Tivisis by a high stone wall. Within were the residences of powerful merchant lords, city officials and magistrates, and a host of foreign emissaries.

Constructed over the course of centuries, every street in the Palace Quarter was framed by ancient buildings that circled each other in ever expanding rings. The streets were paved with hard brick, the sharp edges long eroded by endless streams of passing feet. The fronts of the buildings had once been whitewashed, but had darkened over the years to the dirty gray of chimney soot and neglect.

Toward the center, near Regent's Square, the streets became much shorter than those running along the outside edge of the quarter. Though it looked random, in fact it was a defensive measure put into place long ago. The twisty, narrow streets would prevent attacking soldiers from forming into large groups, stringing them out and subjecting them to ambush from any one of the dozens of passages that cut through the circular streets.

It was hopelessly confusing to newcomers, but Arzani knew exactly where he was going.

He opened the door and entered, scanning until he found what he sought—an entry to what he presumed to be the cellar. Pushing the heavy oak panel aside, he paused a moment to let his eyes adjust to the complete darkness below. Soon enough, his eyes had focused enough for him to see dimly, but he held thehandrail and stepped gingerly down the creaking wooden steps. A curious mix of damp, musty, and sweet wine smells lingered in the air.

Reaching the bottom, Arzani strode forward, ignoring the old wooden racks holding dusty, forgotten bottles of wine. At the back of the cellar a drafty hole in the wall led to a well-built tunnel. Within minutes, he was sidling through a secret entrance on the lowest floor of the citadel.

Once in his private chambers, he scribbled a message and went to find a courier to pass it on to Fajeer Dassai, who he knew would be awake, even at this hour.

He did not have long to wait.

"Well?"

Arzani eyed Dassai. "It appears we have a problem. Pavanan survived."

He held up his hand as Dassai began to speak. "We don't know how, but his body was not among the dead," Arzani said, adding, "However, it is possible that he was behind the others and survived the blast, only to succumb elsewhere later."

Dassai ran his hands through his hair and shook his head. "No. No, that bastard lives, I can feel it. Damn him! We should have had someone there to take care of that possibility." His face flushed with anger. "You should have been better prepared!"

Arzani shifted in his seat. "It is pointless to lay blame now. It is done."

Dassai glared at him for a moment longer before heaving a sigh. "At least the Carac were successful. Their mission is achieved. Fear and panic will reign in the streets. On the other hand, we must do what we can to deal with Pavanan's escape. You must convince Galliresse that Munif acted of his own accord, killing hisfellow agents and betraying the people of Tivisis. Make him wary of the intentions of the Jassaj and even the motives of the Sultan. Pavanan Munif must be blamed. It is the only way. Make him a wanted man throughout Givenh and all of Miranes'."

Arzani nodded. "It will be done."

He stared as Fajeer Dassai began to pace frantically, plotting his next move. "Yes. This will work. But showing that the Rassan Majalis council was at the heart of it may serve us even better." Dassai pointed at Arzani, his eyes boring into the advisor. "You must make sure that Galliresse believes this comes from the Rassan Majalis and the Sultan of Qatana. Givenh will be convinced to turn against them."

"But will this not make Galliresse look incompetent as well?" Arzani asked.

Dassai shrugged, but did not look away. "What you do to undermine him is of no concern to me. Succeed, and this may seat you as the new Suffet of Tivisis, and all can still fall into place as I have planned."

Arzani's eyes gleamed with anticipation.

Dassai gave him a devil's grin. "Need I state clearly what will happen should you fail?"

The other man's eyes dulled as he contemplated the word.

"I must leave." Dassai said abruptly, spinning away.

"Now?"

Dassai paused at the door. "I am of no more use here. My presence is a threat now. Tell Galliresse that I am returning to Cievv for a full account of the attacks. It would be best for him to believe it."

"Where are you going?"

"I've got a rogue assassin fucking one of my wives. Ciris Sarn. Unless you'd rather go in my place?" Dassai answered.

Arzani's eyes widened in terror, but he remained silent.

"Thought not," Dassai finished. Then he slipped into the corridor.

Arzani knew Dassai would not return.