Danoir

Winded and exhausted, Raviel Danoir had finally reached his destination. As he paused, his shoulders slumped. 

It would be over soon, he hoped.

The horses could smell him. Danoir made his way past the stalls, his shuffling feet destroying the carefully raked pattern in the dirt of the shedrow. Around him, he could hear the sound of disturbed animals. Hooves pawed nervously at straw bedding, and tails swished in agitation. Danoir could see the bared teeth, the tossing of manes. One trumpeted in defiance. Danoir wished he had the horse's courage.

In the rear of the stable was a tiny room with a small oil lantern that glowed brightly. A young boy lay sleeping on a cot nearby.

He prodded the boy roughly, startling him awake. Danoir pointed to the door, and the boy hastily got out of bed and left the stable. Danoir licked his lips and waited for his fate. He could feel his throat tighten. His heart thumped against his rib cage.

Niccolo Arzani stepped through the door, his robes hidden by a richly embroidered black cloak. He regarded Danoir with an ill-disguised sneer. Danoir opened his mouth to speak, but Arzani's venomous tone stopped him. "It failed?"

Danoir nodded, awaiting the tirade.

"Tell me everything you know."

Danoir explained it all, from the scream had he heard down the street, the three—not four—ash statues of the Jassaj, and how he couldn't find Pavanan Munif anywhere. Arzani remained silent as he listened. When Danoir had finished, Arzani reached into the folds of his garments. Danoir winced as the advisor tossed something at him, but he caught the object by reflex. He knew without checking that it was a bag containing the remainder of his payment. He licked his dry lips. "You must... I need refuge!"

Arzani was already shaking his head. "No, Danoir. I cannot give you sanctuary. Get out now. If you are seen in this city tomorrow, you will be tried and hanged as a criminal. You're finished in Tivisis."

Danoir stood with his mouth open for a moment before shutting it with resolve and turning on his heel. His best option was to leave tonight.

There might not even be enough time to gather his things, but his mind eased as he realized he had escaped with at least one possession.

His life.