Chapter Twenty-Three

{Trigger Warnings: Suicide, Drug use, Misogyny, and rape mentions}

I glance down to my phone seeing Annie texting me. 

'What the hell, Annie?' 

I close my locker unlocking my phone. A simple goodbye is all she sends me. Goodbye? Annie what the hell? I call her seeing Luna and Heaven walking toward me. It rings twice before it's sent to voicemail. 

"Hey," Luna says before she kisses me. 

I smile to my girlfriend before calling Annie again. What's wrong with her? It goes straight to voicemail this time. I quickly open my locker grabbing my things. 

"Babe?" She asks worried. 

"It's Annie... something's wrong." I tell her scared. 

"Annie not here, today?" Heaven asks. 

"I don't think so. I'm going to call Daniel and see if he's at home but I'm heading over there now." 

"I'll come with you!" Luna offers. 

"No! Both of you stay here. Watch my sister and make sure no one bullies her." 

They nod and I pull Luna into a kiss. I feel her lips smiling against mine before we pull away. "I love you." She mumbles. 

I smile kissing her cheek this time. "I love you, too. Love ya, Heaven, see you guys at the end of the day."

 Luna blushes making me admire her even more. 

Damn. 

I rush out of the building trying not to get caught. I pull on my backpack before calling Daniel. He doesn't answer. Go figures. He's being a goody-two-shoes at work. I text him telling him I was going to check on Annie before running the rest of the way. It's four blocks from my school. So freaking long. I twist the knob on the house door when my phone rings. I answer it walking inside. 

"Annie?" I question.

"No... it's Daniel. Kathy... what's up?" He asks me. 

I walk upstairs listening in the house. No sound. No noise. I walk into Annie room telling Daniel I was checking on his sister. I pause in her doorway seeing her sprawled out on the floor. "Annie?" 

"What's wrong?" 

I examine her body scared. OH my God. OH MY God. OH MY GOD! I drop my phone rushing toward her. "Annie!" I yell dropping down beside her. 

I feel her neck trying to find a pulse. Her eyes are closed and somehow I know she's not sleeping. I tap her cheek trying to get her to respond to me. I yell her name again before pushing on her chest. Think about the movies. I react what I think is right before I hear Daniel yelling. I crawl to my phone hearing his door slamming shut. 

"Katie?" 

"She's gone," I whisper scared. 

"I'm going to call the cops to bring ambulance to you." 

"Please... don't hang up." I whisper crawling back to Annie.

 I feel my tears coming brushing her hair back. "There's pills." I mumble spotting the bottle beside her. 

"Don't touch them. I'll call the ambulance." 

"Okay," I whisper and hang up the phone. 

"Oh... Annie... why?" I whisper pulling her into me.