30

Harry felt guilty.

Maybe guilty didn't even begin to cover it because once he saw Louis' course books in the back-seat of his car, he gripped the steering wheel with fierce strength and screamed at himself internally. He felt downright horrible, like he should skin himself and run himself over.
His poor Lou, his princess, was upset now because of him. His arrogance and his foul behaviour. Harry makes a U-turn at the next stop light.

He takes Louis' books and goes back up the front steps to where Louis' lecture hall is. After finding the right door, he bursts in and finds that the professor hasn't arrived yet. Like that would have stopped him.

Louis' standing on the steps waiting to sit, and Harry loses his breath for a minute. His baby is beautiful, standing there with Niall. His skin is so soft and hair so feathery, he's Harry walking dream partner. He's all Harry's.

Taking extra large strides, Harry skips steps as he makes his way up to Louis' level. Louis sees him, that sixth sense was still so active, and looks caught off guard. He involuntarily steps back when Harry walks up to him.

Harry sees the wetness in Louis' eyes, the extra red puffiness of his nose and all around sadness.

"Baby." Harry can't say much else, so he drops Louis' books on the desk and wraps his arms around the boy. "My darling. I'm so sorry."

Louis' struck dumb with this sudden outburst and tries to free himself of Harry's hold. The man doesn't let up and Louis is just pressed closer to his chest, to his heart. People pay them no mind - this is the twenty-first century after all - but Niall is very wary.

"My sweet love." Harry withdraws to cup both sides of Louis' face, pressing their foreheads together. "Why am I so reckless?"

"Harry, I'm confused." Louis' sniffles are not from a past cold.

"You are precious to me. You know that, there is nothing more dear to my heart." Harry confesses, larger hands gripping Louis' fiercely. "I don't know what came over me. I would never offend you."

"You were so angry at me."

"No, no princess." Harry kisses Louis' lips fervently, caging Louis' waist in the process. "It's all my fault. I'm so sorry."

Louis' breathing is laboured and he hiccups from all the crying, gripping Harry back just as tightly. "M-Me too."

"No." Harry says firmly. "This was all me. You did nothing wrong, princess."

"Why were you mad at me?"

"I wasn't, baby. Nothing was your fault and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. I couldn't think straight afterwards because you were upset."

"O-Oh. Harry?"

"Yes, my love?"

"P-Please don't do that again. I was scared."

Harry held Louis' body flush against his, kissing the boy's temple and cheek. He can only imagine all the insecurities rushing through his boy all this time.

"It felt like.....like Middleston again."

"What do you mean, baby?"

"When you left me there, s-said I did something wrong and just left. I thought....I thought this time you really were leaving me."

"Oh fuck no, love. Never. I'd never, ever do that to you and Bean."

Louis' smile is shaky but he kisses Harry chastely and bumps their noses together. "We can talk about this later."

"Yes, anything you want. But....-"

"But?"

"I have somewhere to take you this afternoon. Will you be my date?"