7

No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream.

*NARRATOR'S POV*

Louis agrees that he is the worst possible tourist. He felt that since he would be living in Chicago for - it's very likely - the rest of his countable years, he doesn't need to buy food from vendors that will make him sick. That wasn't a high chance considering Chicago wasn't a North African country with no hygiene.

His university was a massive, public and popular one. He got a tour on the first day with all the other dorm-stayers - he decided to accept that fate and save his money. There was a football field that made Louis sweat by just looking at it, theatres isolated in at least three different buildings and scattered diners for meals. There was a rec-room in his dormitory with a flat screen and an assortment of indoor sporting equipment.

Against his wishes, a variety of fellow new-comers tried talking to him. Most gave up when they realised he only responded in single syllables. Most. His very energetic room-mate, Niall Horan, kept at it until Louis completed a sentence.

"Do you think the dining dollars they give us will be enough?" Niall had wandered off from the group and Louis was torn between leaving him or the others behind.

Louis chooses Niall, worried about the boy getting lost in this wonderland, and nods to answer his question.

"I don't think so." Niall puts his hands on his hips and gazes at the surrounding scenery. "If you got extra, know that I'll be borrowing your card."

Louis didn't see the harm in that, so he shrugged and waited.

Georgia wasn't attending the same college, but they wished each other well after the plane trip here. It was thirteen hours of being thousands of feet above the ground, and Louis' body is screaming for sleep.

"Let's go back." Niall proposes and Louis laughs under his breath. "Race you?"

"No." Louis' eyes widen in their sockets.

"Why not?"

"I don't run."

Niall didn't react to Louis' response, not wanting the streak to end. "Well, you're my friend so now you do."

Louis shakes his head and takes off walking towards the others.

"Come on, Lou." Niall drags out the nickname and pulls on Louis' arm. "It's a long way."

Louis sighs and gives in, much to Niall's delight. They sprint across the field back to where everyone is admiring the statue of the college's founder, Greg McHillson. It looks like he's urinating but Louis' vision is unreliable right now.
He beat Niall and the lucky Irishman - ironically from the other side of town - was heaving breaths by the end.

"Okay we're never running again, Turbo." Niall slaps Louis' back and they laugh together as Niall fights for air.

Louis gets bumped up to adequate tourist when he purchases two sets of college sweats - almost twice his size - and a corndog because Niall refuses to eat alone. The group is finally dispersed and everyone is ordered to do what they wish until the orientation at one and mini market the university organised at the start of every year.

"Are you really Irish, Niall?" Louis asks when they sit on the grass outside the English Literature building.

"Nah." Niall answers in a strong American accent. "Born in Ohio and my family moved here when my dad died."

"I'm sorry."

"Thanks." Niall lies back on the grass and tucks his arms under his head. "What about you?"