Chapter 3: Dive In

~Olivia's POV~

"Sweetheart, please, we need you to speak for us," the lady said, sounding annoyed.

I looked outside and saw some guy with his wife and child playing at the park. I wish I had a normal childhood with a father that didn't leave me and a mother that wasn’t psychotic. But we never get what we want in life... do we?

She sat up, sighing heavily and left the room.

I smiled to myself. Finally at peace.

She came back after a couple minutes. "She isn't much of a talker," she told the guy who came in behind her, disdain clearly showing through her voice.

"That’s okay," he replied, taking a seat across from me.

"Good luck," she said, leaving us. Maybe he's some therapist. He didn’t really look like one.

"Hi, I um," he started. "I'm your dad, my name's Vic."

I looked back outside. Who called him? No one told me that he would be here. I'm sitting across from my dad, the person who left fourteen years ago, before he even knew me. What could he possibly want from me now?

"Um, so, a little about me, I’m 30 years old. I'm in a band called Pierce The Veil, and I sing and play the guitar."

I looked at him to indicate that I was listening. Was the band the reason why he left?

"My brother, Mike is in the band, he plays drums, and my best friends, Tony and Jaime, are in the band as well. My parents are excited to meet you, especially since they always wanted a grandchild... I know they'll like you."

I looked back outside.

"I want to apologize for never being a part of your life. I do hope your mom treated you right. I’m sorry that she died. I promise you that I’ll do my best to be a good father.”

"Okay, so I'm back with the forms," the lady said as she enters the room, carrying a clipboard with a stack of legal-looking documents.

"You sure about this? You don’t have to take her. She can always just go into the foster system" she said to Vic.

"She is my daughter and I would do anything for her. I don’t appreciate how you’ve been rude about her," he says, finishing the papers and handing them to her. I can't believe he said that, maybe he does care. My mother would never have defended me like that.  

"So, thank you very much for your help, we'll be leaving now," Vic said as he stood up.

I took this as my cue to get up. I walked towards my bag.

"I got it," Vic said, smiling at me and picking it up.

I give him a half smile and follow him out. Maybe this won't be so bad?