Chapter 2: Disasterology

~Olivia's POV~

My mom and her boyfriend were gone all night, as usual. It's 1 pm now, though, they’re usually back by now, and I was getting a little worried. Even though she treated me like trash, she’s my mom. I still loved her somehow.

I hear the door open and sat up, feeling relieved.

I went downstairs and found my mom’s boyfriend, alone. He looked like he had been crying. Weird. He never showed emotions other than anger.

“Sit down please,” he says. I sit down on the couch and he sits down across from me on the coffee table.

“Your mom,” he starts off, avoiding my eyes.  “She overdosed last night on accident,” he looked at me with tears in his eyes. “I called Social Services, someone is coming to get you soon. Go pack your things.”

I didn’t know how to feel as I went back upstairs. I was happy that I could finally escape this hell, but my mom was dead. I just felt numb.

~Vic's POV~

“Hey, Vic! We need food!" My brother Mike shouted from the kitchen.

"Order pizza," I yelled back, too lazy to go buy anything. I was too lazy to do anything at the moment.

"Alright," he yelled back.

My phone rang and I answered it "Hello?"

"Hello. Is this Victor Fuentes?" a woman's voice came through the other line, it was unfamiliar.

"Yes, who is this?" I asked, hoping I wouldn't have to change my number because of a crazy fan again.

"I'm Christy from Social Services. Do you remember a Linda Mendez?" I flinched at the sound of that name, the one that brought back so many memories, good and bad.

"Yeah, she was my ex back when I was sixteen... why?"

"She just passed away and you are the only relative that can take care of your daughter," she says her voice sounding careless, like she does this every day.

"No no no she had an abortion, she told me she had an abortion." I said, my eyes widening.

"Well, your name is put as the father on your daughters birth certificate and" she paused for a second, "no abortions come up on Linda's medical records."

"Oh my god, when can I pick her up?" I can't believe this... for the past fourteen years I’ve been a father and I didn't even know.

"Give me your email and send you the details."

I told her my email and hung up. Holy shit.

~Olivia's POV~

"Come on sweetheart, I’ve got to take you to the office," some lady told me. I nodded and followed her out to her car, carrying my bag full of books. I didn’t have anything else.

She took me to an office building and told me to wait inside a small room. I sat down, wondering what was going to happen to me.