Chapter Twenty Three

▬

"Um ... sorry, repeat that for me?" This evidently wasn't the reaction that Quinton had been hoping for judging from the way his face fell. Nonetheless, he obliged.

"Er ... is it, well ... possible for a muggle to perform magic?" As he spoke, he made his way towards one of the books, sitting down next to her as he began to flick through, "Because it says it's not but I've been doing a little bit of research - "

"A little bit?" Ginny cut in, nodding her head towards the several tall stacks of books he had stashed.

"Oh yeah, this is really nothing, Ginny," He replied humbly, "Just light research here and there - you should have seen the Gollum appreciation project I put together back in Year 8. Now that ... that was intensive but ... magnificent. Even Tom didn't have anything sassy to say! Then again, he was probably just speechless I'd spent six months on it ... why did I bring that up again?"

"To spread Gollum appreciation?" She guessed.

"Yes ... I sort of wish I hadn't though," He shook his head, "Sorry ... yes, this is just light research."

If this was a 'little' bit, she didn't want to know what a lot was - sometimes she forgot he was Hermione's brother.

"If you say so..." She grinned, shuffling along the blanket before craning her head to take a better look.

Quinton continued, having found the page he wanted, "Well, I've been having a little read and apparently there's never been a record of magic being given before. A little fun fact though ... there are companies that claim to give magic to squibs but they mostly use pre-enchanted wands and objects which require no magic in the beholder. They've have been disproved as a scam by numerous professionals including your Headmaster himself ... well, I found it fun anyway. Not that those people got scammed though."

"... it's a bit funny but I feel sorry for them too. How do you know all this?" She found herself softly laughing in disbelief, "Hermione's books?"

He blinked innocently, "Oh no, these ones all came from the local library."

"Your local library has books on squibs?"

"It was in the restricted section."

"Blimey, muggle libraries really have caught up," She said, shaking her head.

"But I believe they're going about it wrong," Quinton said in a surprisingly bold tone for him. Usually, he went back on his words and stumbled over sentences in an endearingly awkward manner so this sudden firm stance caught Ginny by surprise, "They're treating every squib as if they're the same when they're not ... genetically speaking, I mean."