Chapter Eight

▬

Ginny loved having Ravenclaw friends and not just because they'd usually done the homework when she forgot. Chance and Simon were masters of sarcasm and were sometimes so damn smart, they could trick her with casual elegance none of her brothers could ever hope to master. They were smart, witty and brilliant but there were downsides too.

The start of term feast was one of them.

Even though it was against the rules, the three friends would frequently sit each other's tables and in Simon's case, the house common room one too. Occasionally somebody would feebly lecture them but nobody really gave a damn. However, at the start of term feast, people did care so Ginny was usually forced to scrape in with her brother's friends or sit awkwardly by one of her dorm mates. Either way, it was usually a painful experience without them which she would cover up by pretending to be bored. That was a surefire plan for everything.

"I'll see you two afterwards, okay?" She said, giving the two boys a wave as they donned their hats and walked into the hall.

"Bye Ginny!" She heard them faintly chorus before wandering towards the Gryffindor table, desperately scanning around the table for Hermione. At last, she managed to find the girl but before she could wander over, a hand grabbed her robe.

"GINNY!" She wasn't sure whether to roll her eyes or smile gratefully as Demelza tugged at her, "Sit down here, we have a spare seat!"

Just like on the train, Demelza's sudden enthusiasm continued to baffle her. She'd always been nice enough but they'd rarely spoken. After the possession, some of her peers had been downright mean, blatantly spreading rumours right in front of her face that Ginny had often ended up curled up in her brother's laps, trying not to cry. They were in the minority but many people wouldn't even wave in the corridors or do simple things such as borrow a quill from her as if Demonic possession were contagious. Demelza had admittedly never done that, still giving her smiles in the corridors. If she was whispering about the incident, she at least had the decency not to do it to Ginny's face. Still, this was far from extending the hand of friendship and a ripple of apprehension passed over Ginny..

"Come on ... sit down!"

"Really?"

Demelza was sat with many of their dorm mates, all of whom gave her a similar awkward smile. Clearly, they weren't quite as an enthusiastic about her presence as Demelza was. For some reason, their looks irked her and in a defiant gesture, Ginny nodded.

"Okay," She took a seat next to Demelza, maintaining her outward appearance of confidence even if inside she was starting to regret it a little. One happy face didn't quite outweigh the effects of four wan smiles.