Chapter Fourteen

▬

It took the newly formed "Help-Ginny-get-over-Potter" squad a few weeks before they got their shit together enough to actually meet ... well, the four who were there anyway. This was, in no small part, down to Demelza's other friends taking up a lot of her time, Simon becoming briefly obsessed with hairstyles (until he had a dream about killer cornrows which left him petrified) and Chance fretting about getting tongue-tied which only made him more tongue-tied. Ginny was surprised she wasn't the biggest problem, to be honest.

The night before, sleep evaded Ginny mainly because Simon appeared at the foot of her bed around one asking if they needed a secretary to take notes to send to Quinton. In her sleepy state, she said yes - a decision that would haunt her the next day.

"Why did you hire a first year?!"

"Keep your voice down," Chance scolded from his chair, looking up from the book he was reading to see if he could spot Demelza, "This is a library you know. How uncouth."

"Yes, to take notes for you to send to our absentee member," Simon explained flatly, "You can send them with this week's letter."

"It's called creating jobs, Ginny," Chance pointed out which wasn't helpful.

"I assumed you'd do it!" She whined, ignoring the comment just made.

"How can I? I'll be discussing," Simon pointed out, "Anyway, I'm charging them minimum wage, more actually. Speaking of which, I think we should all chip in - "

"The issue isn't about pay, it's just ... a bit embarrassing!" Ginny replied, "I don't want a First Year overhearing my plan to get a boyfriend, what if they tell someone? Oh no, what if they tell Harry..."

"You need a non-disclosure agreement, my uncle gets me to sign one every time we go golfing together," Chance cut in, "Although an obliviate spell would do the trick! Then you wouldn't have to pay them either..." He slyly grinned at the First Year who shrunk back.

"Don't be silly, Chance, of course I'd pay them!" Simon replied, "Who's uncouth now."

"I'm not uncouth, you're..." Chance opened his mouth to add some snappy retort but forgot halfway so meekly ended with, "...Simon."

"Can we just get rid of them? Please?" She sighed, "It took me long enough to accept Demelza's help, a girl I've known for two years or so now."

Simon sighed, "Fine, I suppose can take the notes but if I'm more silent than usual, you know why," He turned to the First Year, "Sorry, Florie, but we won't be needing you. I'll pay you later for the inconvenience."