As she dived under the covers of her bed and checked her snap chat, she flicked through the received snaps until she stopped on one from Johnny. She'd known him since she was a kid as well. The son of her Aunts friend in California, she'd been seeing him about once a year since she was five. Of course, she hadn't seen him in a while longer due to the fact that she hadn't been to Cali in almost three years. The last time had been her fourteenth birthday.

Hey, I saw your snap before you deleted it. What's wrong? x

Your species is shit. That's what's wrong.

Woah woah. We're not all bad!

I mean, most of us are. But there's a select handful of decent men on the planet. I promise.

I somehow manage a small smile at his attempt to defend his fellow man.

What happened? I'm all ears if you need to vent.

Lydia contemplated it for a few minutes, not sure whether she wanted to divulge her personal matters to Johnny. He had always been a sweetheart. And if there was anyone that would be good to vent to, it was someone who was in another state and had no personal connection to the matter.

Riley cheated on me last night. I feel... broken asf. If you ever do that to a girl, I'm coming to Cali to KILL you.

Fuck. I'm so sorry Lyds. You're the last person who deserves something like that. :(

P.s, I have never, will never do that.

That's what they all say.

I'm serious. Might as well just call it quits if it gets to that point.

That would have hurt too. But it would have hurt less. Who was I kidding though. We've been official since we were thirteen. It's unrealistic to think that it would have lasted. 

It's not unrealistic to expect that someone would respect you though. I'm sorry. Again.

Thanks Johnny. Do me a favour and don't tell your parents though. They'll tell Dallas. She'll tell Mom. For as long as possible, I'll have people believe that I did the breaking up.

You're not ashamed of what happened, are you? It's not your fault.

Not ashamed. Just... it's complicated. Nathan coaches Riley and he'll kick him off the team out of loyalty. I don't want that.

Sounds like that's what the fuckwit deserves though.

Like I said, it's complicated. I'm such a mess.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, you still looked beautiful in that 'mess' of a selfie. ❤️

Now I know that you're a liar. Tsk. Can't trust no man.

Take the compliment Lydia James. You're a stunner.

Once again, Lydia smiled despite believing that such a thing would be impossible for the longest time following the betrayal. She began to type out a reply when her phone rang, her ex's face flashing on the screen. That brief moment of mild elation was gone and dread had her stomach doing the worst kind of somersaults.

"Hey cheating piece of shit," she answered the phone and did her best to disguise the fact that she had been crying. "What do you want?"

 "What do you want?"