Ch.14

I opened my eyes. I was on Candor's truth platform. I'd been here once before on a field trip, for my Faction History class. I looked around. The stands were empty.

I called out, "Hello?"

I whipped around at the sound of a man's voice, "Let's cut to the chase, shall we? It's quite simple. We know your big secret... If you admit to it, you can save her. If you don't... "

My brows came together in confusion, and I scoffed. "What secret? Who can I save?"

"Alexa?" I gasped and turned around at the sound of a girl's voice.

"Abbey! Let her go!" I screamed.

She was being held by a Dauntless, who had placed a gun to Abbey's head. I turned back to the Candor man, "What? What secret do you want to hear? I'll tell you anything just please let her go! She's my best friend! My sister!"

The Candor man frowned at me, "She wasn't your first best friend though, was she? No, I believe there was one before her. Now, what ever could have happened to that girl? Do you remember, Alexa?"

I looked at the ground. I know what secret they wanted me to tell, but I couldn't. No one could know. I heard Abbey behind me, "What's he talking about Lex? Please, whatever it is just tell him! Please!"

I shook my head and a tear fell from my eye, "I can't. I'm sorry Abbey, I love you... but I can't."

I felt the Candor man spit at me, "You're weak. You aren't Dauntless- you're a coward! A murderer... twice now... Kill the girl."

I jumped up and ran towards Abbey. "No! Wait!!"

I reached forward just as a blast sounded in my ears. A bright light filled my vision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up. I was laying still. Frozen. I wasn't out of breath, or shaking or screaming like the others. However, I felt a single tear making its way down my cheek.

I saw Four watching me out of the corner of my eye. I sat up, shook my head, and wiped the tear away. I smiled at him, "Alright! How'd I do?"

Four looked at me, "You were in there for ten minutes. That's a little faster than others, but not by much. However, I can say your reaction after the Sim was much more graceful than anyone else... What was your fear about? What secret did the man want to know?"

I smiled at Four, "Well, it doesn't really matter now, does it?"

Four shook his head, "Actually, if you had faced your fears and told the truth- your time would have been much faster. Maybe if you told someone in the real world, it might be easier to admit it in the sim."

I looked at the floor, "Maybe so, but I'm not going to worry about that right now. That stirred up some... unwanted memories..."

Four nodded and went to open the door. I put a smile on my face and strolled out the door casually. Everyone looked at me like I was insane, but I ignored them. I heard Four call the next name behind me, "Tris!"

I walked out the door. I went back to the dorm, and waited on my bed for Tris. She came into the room only moments later and I frowned. She jumped at my voice, "Well, that was quick. What was it? Six minutes?"

She walked over and sat down on her bed, which was across the aisle from mine. "Three."

I nodded, "Wow. That's impressive. How'd you manage that?"

She looked down at her hands and shrugged, "Just comes naturally I guess."

I nodded and got up from my bed. I stood over Tris, "Tris I need to talk to you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We walked to the end of the hall of the second floor of the compound. Tris came up to my side, "Why'd we have to come so far? What's wrong?"

I grabbed her wrist and turned the last corner. I pulled her to the darkest corner, where the door to the roof was. I sat us both on the ground. I folded my legs and Tris did too, looking confused. "Alexa? What-"

"Tris you're an idiot."

She blinked, "I'm sorry? Why-"

"Three minutes? Seriously? You couldn't have stayed in a little longer? She's definitely going to be watching you now. Oh man, what do I do... " I buried my face in my hands.

Tris shook her head and touched my shoulder, "Alexa! What are you talking about? Who is watching me?"

I looked up and grabbed her shoulders, "Tris, not even the most fearless Dauntless can get through a Fear Sim that quickly. It takes them a few minutes just to figure out a solution because- they think it's real life, they think it through! But you? No- you know."

Tris shook her head, "Know what?"

I looked into her eyes and glared, "You know it isn't real. That it's just a simulation. You're Divergent, aren't you Tris?"

She shook her head, and began to stand. "This is crazy. Divergents aren't real-"

I grabbed her shoulder and turned her back to me, "I saw you. I saw you with your mother and I heard everything. Tris, Jeanine is hunting Divergents. She'll find you and when she does she... She'll kill you."

Her eyes widened, "You saw? Please Alexa, please don't tell. I'm not dangerous I just-"

"I know." I whispered.

A tear fell down her cheek, "W-what?"

I stared at her, "I know you aren't dangerous. That's why I'm not going to tell Jeanine. I just needed to tell you, that you need to be careful, ok? Three minutes isn't normal- it's Divergent. You can't just find the easy way out by telling yourself it isn't real. You have to think through it. You have to think brave, and fearless. I wish I could help you more, but I know only a little bit more than you do. I'm sorry. I'm sorry that Jeanine is after you. You aren't dangerous, but other Divergents are. We have to get rid of them. But I won't let her hurt you."

Tris's lip quivered for a moment, before she rushed towards me and wrapped her arms around my neck. We stood there for a while, hugging, until she calmed down. She pulled away first, and smiled at me- tears stained her cheeks. "Thank you."

I nodded and we walked back to the dorms.