Ch.3

I had spent the rest of the afternoon with Kelyn and Lacy. We went around Erudite and made a mess of things- making a few last memories. They didn't make a mess exactly- I did.

You weren't really supposed to share your results, but we all basically already knew what everyone got on their test. Lacy and Kelyn would be staying in Erudite, as expected.

Lacy had been talking about Jeanine's list nonstop. A few weeks ago, Jeanine had published a list of five young adults she thought would be perfect to fill in the role of her assistant, as her old one had just made a groundbreaking discovery and had to commit full time in the laboratory. Lacy was number three. I knew she would get it, Jeanine had always liked Lacy. She'd always liked me as well, as she and my mother were very good friends. Well- acquaintances. I don't think Jeanine really had 'friends.'

My parents had told me to be home at exactly five o'clock. So, at twenty till five, we had an emotional group hug. Then, I went home for dinner. My family was back in our Erudite home right now, since the summer hadn't started just yet. Erudite had school year round, unlike other factions. However, when summertime came- my family packed up and we took a train to Amity. My parents spent the summers there, along with many other scientists and their families. Tutors came along with us, and we still had school every day. It was fun, even with the schoolwork. I bonded not only with those kids from Erudite, but also got to meet and form relationships among the Amity. A good family friend was Hannah, who had given my test, and her husband Travis. They had three kids- Abbey, Kyle, and Joshua. Abbey was like my sister, and we did everything together along with her other Amity friends. I was definitely going to miss that. All of it. But I knew in my heart, where I truly belonged now. Now- off to spend my last night at home.

~~~~~~~~~~

I walked in the front door, and immediately a sweet smell hit my nose. Vanilla. I gasped. "No way!"

I walked in and saw my whole family and family friends in my living room. "Guys? What is all this?"

Everyone turned to me, then immediately pulled me into the room. I saw a few gifts in the room. I even saw Jeanine, speaking with my mother in the corner. My family was very close with Jeanine. On the coffee table, I saw the biggest vanilla cake, I had ever had the honor of seeing in my life. I squealed and immediately went to stick my face in it, but a hand wrapped around my waist and pulled me back, setting me in a lounge chair.

I giggled, seeing it was my father. I jumped up and wrapped my arms around his neck and placed a sloppy kiss on his cheek. He winced, "Lex! That is disgusting!"

I giggled, "What? I just love ya so much!"

Everyone laughed, but it quietly died down. I frowned slightly, not liking the silence. Everyone was silent and my grandmother sat next to me, gently grabbing my hand. "Alexa-Our little girl. Not so little anymore. We all have a very strong theory as to which faction you will be choosing tomorrow. We are all sad, to see you go. We want you to know how much we love you. However, you must remember, the main rule that we all want you to keep in mind once you go...  "

She trailed off, and I stood. I faced my family and our friends. "I know very well. Faction before Blood. I plan to follow that, don't worry. Even if I will have a new home, and a new family- I want you all to know that I am very proud of who I am- And I would never have turned out half the girl I am today, without all of you. So, even though I may be moving on, I promise to remember each and every one of you. You all have made me who I am, so to forget you would be to forget myself. And, I can't thank you enough, for everything. Tomorrow, I will be leaving Erudite. I am sorry to leave you. However, I know my place now. And that, is in Dauntless, and hopefully- I will still keep my place in your hearts."