Confidence - its great to have.

[1St POV - You]

Lieutenant Uhura, or should I call her Nyota, invited me to the Enterprise Bar. I guess it was one of the more popular ones onboard the ship, but it was empty when we showed up. There was a sprinkle of people here and there but they weren't exactly doing anything but enjoying a drink and sitting on one of the three small couches inside. She walked me over to the medium-sized, rectangular-shaped bar that was lined with eight to twelve red-colored bar stools. They contrasted with the white and blue room that was lit up with simple strips of blue lights, lining the white bar top and walls.

She sat and began to order an array of drinks with names I had never heard of nor tried before. She smiled so confidently as she held the menu up and the bartender offering her choices. She glanced at me and, assuming she saw my eyes widened, decided to hold back on the alcohol.

"I'll take a Cardassian Sunrise for now." She smiled and then placed the menu down before looking at me again. "Do you drink, Lieutenant (Y/LN)?"

"(Y/N). You can call me (Y/N). And quite honestly, I've never had the time nor interest in drinking." I responded honestly. During my time in The Academy, I placed my focus on school and getting the hell out of there. Of course, it didn't help that I was the daughter of an Admiral and he basically watched everything I did. It would be unruly of me to go out and party when... my father... was such a high ranking officer.

"No way! You mean you've never had a drink before? Didn't you just graduate?!"

She didn't seem to believe my alcohol intake was zero to this day. Even I couldn't believe how innocent and "clean" I was in comparison with the rest of my classmates. They all lived a life of party and drinking, but I couldn't find the courage to join them. I couldn't help but nod and crack a small smile.

"Pretty lame, isn't it?" I sat down on the stool next to her and glanced at the menu. "I've never had a drink before, but it wasn't because I didn't want a drink."

"You did mention you were never interested in having one. So does that mean you were interested?" She looked at me and questioned as the bartender returned with her drink, waiting to see if I would order anything.

"I'll just.. have water for now. Thank you." I hesitated and placed my menu back on the counter. The bartender stared at me with an emotionless, yet not judgmental, face. He nodded and flashed a quick smile. It didn't have much meaning behind it but possibly was an "it's okay, no pressure" smile.

Gosh... I feel like a child sitting here afraid of trying new things. This is really troublesome. I should be working. But before I can actually work, Lieutenant Uhura has to find out what I'm good at. She can't just let me work if she doesn't know what I'm good at.

"Lieutenant (Y/N)?" I heard Uhura's voice. When I came back to focus on reality and her, I noticed her face was full of gentle concern. She had her head slightly tilted as she sipped her alcoholic beverage. I sighed deeply and stretched my arms up, covering up the thoughts that made me tense.

"Sorry, was spacing out. I didn't sleep quite enough last night. I guess I was too excited to work." I smiled widely, only half lying about my sleep. I forced a small chuckle to escape to further prove my statement. She smiled back and put her drink down.

"You're worried that you don't quite belong yet, aren't you?"

I looked at her face, my arms that were raised above my head slowly began to lower as I noticed her expression change. Her eyes shifted from confidently looking into mine and landed on her drinks.

"I know how it feels to an extent. You're worried because the Captain promoted you on your first day and you don't feel qualified. Captain Pike did the same thing with me and here I am. I feel like we question our captains on their decisions, but usually, they make the best ones for us to grow or even improve ourselves whether it be individually or as a crew. The piece of advice I can give you is to have more faith in yourself. You studied hard right?"