Welcome Aboard

"Welcome aboard the U.S.S Enterprise. I am Captain James T. Kirk. It is a pleasure to have you onboard with us on this expedition."

The words I had only dreamed of hearing finally reached my ears as my hand extended to shake hands with the already legendary Captain Kirk. I had only recently graduated from the academy in the studies of History of Extraterrestrial Life and Language when I was given a wonderful opportunity to board the Enterprise.

The Enterprise had gone on many voyages in the last six months that it took me to complete my studies. It made a returning visit to the starbase I was currently stationed in. I had known Captain Kirk from the previous years when he would randomly appear in the different classrooms before he was given the title of Captain. He was a reckless guy, but he presented such a strong aura it was hard to ignore him. He was flirtatious but clever. He was like any guy his age; full of ambition and dedication, but lacking in logistics. I won't deny, though, that I did have an admiration for James Kirk, but if I were ever to see a future on a starship, I had to control my girlish emotions.

My first personal encounter with Kirk was during one of my many explorations and research voyages. He had been assigned as a stand-in captain with my three-man-party that visited an alien planet that the Starfleet Academy had a partnership with. This partnership allowed the academy to take their students to the planet and experience a taste of what future space travels had to offer. I had two other members with me, one studying the plants as well as another there for security practice. My job was to interact with the locals and learn more about their history; also to learn of their language and any hidden coding that the language may have. This would become extremely important if we were to ever encounter a war with a planet like this alien planet. It also could prove useless if we encountered a planet with aliens that shared little to no comparison with this one. Regardless of the uneven ratio of importance, I took my role seriously. My mind was focused on completing this mission and completing it well. James Kirk had other plans.

While I had been walking towards the city with the two other party members and Kirk, his intentions were to hold a conversation with me. I had my focus on looking for potential aliens to speak to when Kirk's small talk began to take its toll on me.

"Captain Kirk," I began, sarcastically focusing on the word captain, "I understand that a man of your rank deserves the utmost respect and attention, but if I may remind you that I am here on serious business. I have full intentions to give my 100% so I can finally set foot on a starship and explore the galaxy and whatever it has to offer. I will not allow that opportunity to be taken away simply because of your ranking, boredom, or you in general. I do hope you understand." I hardly glanced at him as I spoke, but upon uttering the last sentence, it took all my courage to look him directly in his eyes to prove how serious I was about completing my work. The look on his face was a mixture of surprise but spackled with a smirk.

"Very well then. I will leave you to your work, Miss (Y/LN)." With hands held behind his back, Kirk seemingly danced away from my side. I sighed a breath of relief and continued on with my mission with great success. A year later, I graduated and am now standing on the bridge of the U.S.S Enterprise in front of its very own Captain James. T. Kirk.

"Long time no see, Lieutenant (Y/LN)." Captain Kirk said with that all too familiar smirk on his face. I simply responded with a nod and small smile, trying to hide my excitement. "Thank you, Captain, for the warm welcome. I plan to work very hard while onboard this starship." Then it had hit me. Captain Kirk had referred to me as "lieutenant". I glanced at him with a questioning look on my face and he simply smiled. I tilted my head further questioning him, but he only responded briefly.

"I expect no less from you, Lieutenant (Y/LN)." Captain Kirk nodded his head with an approving smile and walked towards his Captain's chair. "I place you in the hands of Commander Spock to show you around the starship as well as to your quarters. If you cannot report to me, then you will report to him or anyone else readily available. Enjoy your small tour of the ship as we exit orbit now. Mr. Sulu, prepare to exit orbit Warp Factor 1."