Chapter 14: Bring It On

A/N: I know it's a day late and I'm sorry! This one was a split and I did my part some on Friday and then yesterday I had to babysit so I didn't really write then. I know the due dates are on Saturday and I'm sorry. Please don't hate me! Anyway, here's another chapter! Enjoy! :)

Chapter 14: Bring It On

"Don't be sorry. I know that this is all being thrown on you and that you need time to process it all. I guess I just want you safe all the time." Calum was still holding onto me as he spoke, his warm hands rubbing circles on my back.

I pulled away to open then door and let us both inside the house. Calum instantly made himself at home, sitting comfortably on the couch and sending me an awaiting smile. I sat beside him, leaning towards his body and resting my head on his shoulder.

"I just don't really like the idea of being protected all the time." I confessed. Calum sighed and rubbed his fingers up and down my arm.

"I get it, I really really do. I'm sorry that I can't really stop it. It's in my nature."

We stayed silent after that. We didn't talk at all, only looked at nothing and stay cuddled together. That was until I heard the front door open and keys being tossed.

"Amanda! I'm home!" My dad's voice got louder as he walked into the living room where Cal and I were.

"Hello sir, I'm Calum. I'm Amanda's friend." Calum stood to his feet and stretched out his hand for my dad to shake.

"Peter. Nice to meet you." My dad said nicely and took Calum's hand. He gave me a smile and said he was going to go change and freshen up for dinner.

"You're staying for dinner I assume?" My dad asked Calum. Calum gave me a questioning look as if asking 'may I?' To which I nodded.

"Yes, I would love to stay."

"Good. Amanda, may you and Calum begin preparing food while I shower?" And with that he left.

"Well, I guess we're making dinner since dad takes forever in the shower. And when I say forever, I do mean forever," I say giggling slightly as I start making my way to the kitchen.

"That's fine by me. What are we making?" Calum asks with a grin on his face as he stands next to me.

"Hmm.. I was thinking we could make pasta? My dad loves it when I make pasta!"

"Sounds good to me!"

*****

Making dinner with Calum actually wasn't that bad, especially since he's a great cook. Literally. I didn't even need to tell him what to do or the ingredients that he needed to get. He just knew. And to be quite honest, I was impressed. If a guy can cook, it's always a plus right?

"How'd you learn how to cook so well Cal?" I asked as I poured the noodles into a restrainer, draining all the water out and letting it cool off for a few seconds.

"My mom taught me how," he replied without even looking at me. He had his whole attention on stirring the sauce for the noodles.

"Oh.." I don't know why but when he mentioned his mom kind of made me feel sad. I guess it just makes me miss her a bit more than I already do. In fact, just thinking about her made me realize that I haven't even seen her since we moved her and that was almost two months ago.

"Why do you say it like that?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're saying it like you miss your mom or something."

"That's because I do, Calum."

The moment I said that was when Calum finally turned around, taking his gaze away from the sauce. "Why is that?" he asked.

"My parents are divorced," I whispered while looking down as if I was ashamed, but I wasn't. I knew it was going to happen eventually just not so soon.

"Oh.."

"Yeah."

The kitchen was filled with silence as we finished making dinner and by that time, my dad had already come down from his shower. I knew it would take him the whole time of us making dinner for him to shower.

"Dinner's done dad," I said just as he sat down in his seat.

"Great, I'm starved!"

*****

After dinner was done, I left the dishes to my dad and went up to my room with Calum. That was our routine. I would cook and he would do the dishes. It only made it fair.

When we got up to my room, though, there was a note laying on my bed. I hesitated slightly before I slowly made my way over to my bed, picked up the note, and started reading it:

Amanda,

Fine, you want to play games? We'll play games. Your precious Calum can't protect you forever.

                                   - JJ

Only one thought ran through my mind as I got done reading it. Bring it on.