Chapter Twenty-Three

Shelby's POV

Finally Friday!! YES!

I get up out of my bed and pull on my flower skirt over my spandex, tucking my plain grey T-shirt into my skirt.

I put on some light make-up, only mascara and foundation, and grab my bag and rush downstairs to eat something before I'm late for school.

My mom is outside telling at me to get in the car so I grab a piece of bread, slip on my black flip flops and dash to the car.

I make it to school just as the bell rings for homeroom. My homeroom teacher doesn't really care if you're late so I know I have five minutes to get my books. I grab my necessary supplies and spray myself with perfume before walking to my classes.

---

After lunch I have L.A and guess who sits besides me...

Nick.

I decide to have my walls up. He probably will talk to me and I'll have to accept that fact. He pissed me off and I did something I shouldn't have but he hurt my best friend.

I sit down in my chair and wait for Mrs. Webb to come in to give us our practice P.A.T seeing as our final tests are coming up. As I expected Nick sits right beside me and just stares at me for what seems like forever (I'm looking straight ahead so i can pretend I don't see his eyes on me). Out of my peripheral vision I can see that the swelling in his face has gone down and some color has come back to it.

I don't feel as guilty.

"Shelby..." Nick finally speaks.

"Nick I can't talk right now, pretend that it's actually a P.A.T so we can't talk." I retort.

He just sighs and turns to the front of class having his chance being shot down.

I write the practice test and hand it in just as the bell rings. I avoid Nick and he just walks away.

I honestly do feel bad that I have to act this way towards him but he does so much to not be my friend I have no idea what to do with him right now.

---

After school we are all walking home and Kayla comes over to me and tells me she needs to talk. It sounds urgent so we walk slowly until the group is out of range so they won't hear us.

"So what's up?" I ask.

I can see the worry in her eyes and it seems like she's going to break down in years any second. I grab her arm to let the group round the corner. As soon a they do I grab a hold of her and pull her into a hug.

I hear her breath hitch and a tear hit my shirt. I quietly whisper to her.

"Kayla, I don't know what it is that is going on and you don't have to tell me just know that I'm always her for you and nothing will come between our friendship."

Her breath hitches again, "I know," is all she manages to say before she retreats from the hug and wipes under her eyes so she can continue walking without questions.

Kayla really has me worried. I really want to know what's going in so I can help her but maybe just being there for her and letting her cry on my shoulder is good enough.

I hope it's enough.

**************************************

Hey readers!

Sorry for the previous shirt chapter I had a lot more written and I didn't mean to publish it. Sorry :(

But... what do you think is happening with Kayla?

Please comment, let me know how I'm doing!

Thanks for reading :)

Love you all <3

~ Shelby xoxo